Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using my boss' 420 Rancher for most of today around the farm, great ATV enough power for the duties we do and very light to ride. The only downside is how uncomfortable the seating position is, I'm a bag of bones right now!
I think the seat base is far to soft and possibly to low, either that or I'm to tall for it at nearly 6'3".
Can anybody else comment on this or am I on my own with this?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha! I use the 300 for 'playing' mostly so I'm stood up as much as sat down, it does ache my knees though after a while. Wouldn't change it though, it's a great little machine.
What didn't help in the rancher was how soft the seat was, it's like sitting on a bean-bag! I think with a bit of thought and a good upholsterer it could be cured, my hips and groin are on fire now tonight!

On another note, are the 500's like this or are they more suited to the longer legged freak like me?! :laugh: I ask as that is what I'm currently holding out for, waiting for an eBay steal ;-)

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
One of my buddies and his twin brother are both 6' 4", 250ish.

Bret rides a 500 Rubicon (06) and loves it. His brother had a 420 and it was just too small for someone his size.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of my buddies and his twin brother are both 6' 4", 250ish.

Bret rides a 500 Rubicon (06) and loves it. His brother had a 420 and it was just too small for someone his size.
Ahh ok cool.. I thought they looked a little taller in the seat. Hard to tell though from internet images!
Thanks Jeep.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Yep the 500's are a lot roomier, both the old body style and even more so the new body style. I can't ride the 300 for long, but can ride the 500 all day without too much issue. I'm 6'5".

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
i'm only about 140 lbs, 5'-11'', soooo..any of them is good for me...lol.

Reactions: rodp

·
Premium Member
742 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mac stood next to shady.... That would be a good photo! Lol

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't know, I'm 6'2" wife is 5'11" when we go riding for a full day our ranchers don't seem to cripple us up too bad, and that's even without PS or IRS. And........maybe we just haven't ridden something all day that is way more comfortable to ride and we just don't know any better:unsure:Have some rides planned with some friends that have machines with IRS they said that they will let us try them out.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I don't know, I'm 6'2" wife is 5'11" when we go riding for a full day our ranchers don't seem to cripple us up too bad, and that's even without PS or IRS. And........maybe we just haven't ridden something all day that is way more comfortable to ride and we just don't know any better:unsure:Have some rides planned with some friends that have machines with IRS they said that they will let us try them out.
NOT sure what yr ranchers you have there Freedomflyer, but the last few yrs they moved the ranchers into the full size frames of the foremans, the older one's were a LOT smaller
so that might explain your' s being more suited for you as to what he has!

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
it is amazing how people have bikes that don't fit them , this weekend past we rode with a lady with a 2017 420 with lift kits and 28's , she is under 5 ft tall and least than 100 lbs , she can handle it

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it is amazing how people have bikes that don't fit them , this weekend past we rode with a lady with a 2017 420 with lift kits and 28's , she is under 5 ft tall and least than 100 lbs , she can handle it
Your quite right there Fish, my boss (who has the 420) is a jockey, he's got to be around 5' tall and weighs as much as helium balloon! The 420 fits him a treat, he does hang of it like a rag doll from time to time though lol.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My ranchers are 2013's so I think that was the last year before they went to the larger frame, still they soon mt seem too uncomfortable

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
It's just what your used to Freedom, if you spent a lot of time on a larger machine then went back to the small 420's you'd notice a difference. I grew up riding 200's, 300's and SFA 350's and never found them small at all then, same with the 350's. I thought my Rancher 350 was huge and roomy until I bought my 650 in 2006, and I thought that was huge and roomy until I bought my 800 Can-am in 2009. Looking back now the 300 is almost unrideable for any distance and the 650 really wasn't very big either lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
I think of comfortable as more than how your ass fits the seat , I have said this before on comfortable , I have a 450 and a 300 , I am 5'9" and 175 lbs and I feel more comfortable on the 300 , part of it is the ( center of gravity ) for lack of better words , the 450 makes you sit much higher and will flip over to the side a lot faster than the 300 , there are so many different factors on what is comfortable , steering , shifting , getting on and off the bike , I spend a lot of time with both feet on the same floor board , that is a lot easier to do on the 300 than the 450 for me

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I think of comfortable as more than how your ass fits the seat , I have said this before on comfortable , I have a 450 and a 300 , I am 5'9" and 175 lbs and I feel more comfortable on the 300 , part of it is the ( center of gravity ) for lack of better words , the 450 makes you sit much higher and will flip over to the side a lot faster than the 300 , there are so many different factors on what is comfortable , steering , shifting , getting on and off the bike , I spend a lot of time with both feet on the same floor board , that is a lot easier to do on the 300 than the 450 for me

I'm sure you might have a different opinion if you were about 8" taller. I bet you don't hit your knees with the handlebars when you turn your 300 lol

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I'm sure you might have a different opinion if you were about 8" taller. I bet you don't hit your knees with the handlebars when you turn your 300 lol

This is one of my reasons for fitting handle bar risers! The second reason is, when I'm stood up I constantly feel like I'm about to be thrown over the bars at the next obstacle!
This being said, there are faults we could pick with every ATV, at least we all chose the best, Honda :biggrin:

Reactions: _Wilson_
1 - 20 of 38 Posts