Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, thanks for letting me join up! I'm new and got a question about my 07 trx420fm. The key was left on until the battery was drained, so I charged it back up but now when I turn the key on it don't here the normal buzzing and clicking. It will spin over with no problem but fails to start. I checked for power at the plug on the fuel pump and nothing. My question is how can I test the relay? Also, could it be responsible for both the fuel pump and IACV not responding?...because there is no sounds whatever when turning the key on.

Premium Member
Hi welcome! How old is the battery?
Generally if it didn't run for a long time and the battery was in a discharged state I would suspect the battery.
It's possible there are other problems check all fuzes

Will it run for a bit when you spray a little starting fluid into the intake?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanx Goober...the battery is brand new and fully charged up.(I had just replaced it about 2 weeks prior to the problem) the starter will spin with no problem but it just won't crank cause the fuel pump isn't working because there's no power getting to it. I haven't tried ether because I knew it wasn't getting fuel..all the fuses in box show to be good

Premium Member
Thanx Goober...the battery is brand new and fully charged up.(I had just replaced it about 2 weeks prior to the problem) the starter will spin with no problem but it just won't crank cause the fuel pump isn't working because there's no power getting to it. I haven't tried ether because I knew it wasn't getting fuel..all the fuses in box show to be good
when you say no power to the fuel pump ?, are you saying this because you used a tester at the connection lead to the pump ?, or, your just not hearing/seeing the pump work ?. the trx420's have common issues with their fuel pumps not lasting.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Shadetree, yes I used an led test light and wasn't getting power at the plug on the pump...I didn't try my multi meter

Registered
Hi: When you are testing the fuel pump relay connector there is only 12 Volts there for a few seconds as soon as the key is turned on -- there is no steady 12 volts there unless the relay is plug in and the bike is running. The only way to test the relay is to apply 12 volts to the relay coil and use a meter to check the continuity of the contacts.

Also one of the wires on the relay connector that goes to the coil should have 12 volts on it at all times reading it to ground with the key on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts