Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im doing a top end rebuild on my 2005 350 Rancher since the piston head cracked. It happend on the trail and ended up burning a couple quarts of oil getting it home. Didnt really want to run it but was forced to either run it or spend the night in the woods:icon_eek:

The head is pretty gunked up and needs cleaned up. I was going to go ahead and replace the valves while I had everything off but Im not sure how to go about doing it. Any tips?

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
sure..i can help you..well..try to explain it anyway..first off..do you have a valve spring compresser ?..you will need one...make sure you got a top end rebuild kit..gaskets..so forth..after you get the head off..where your valves are..set the head down with springs facing up...place a towel..or something thick under the head..now..take a socket..about the size of the valve springs..with a brass hammer..kinda lightly hit the socket to knock the valve spring keepers out..check the valves in a drill..to see if they are bent,,trust me..if they are..you will see them wobble..lol...if they aren't..clean them up real good..lightly put some grease on the valve stems..and push them back into the valve..oh..do one at a time when taking them out < this is to make sure you put them right back into the same place >..now..place the valve seal onto the valve..put your springs back on..use the valve spring compresser to compress the springs....don't go to far down..otherwise you might compress the springs to much..other than that..its real simple..oh..almost forgot..while you got the valves out..clean them up with a dremel with a little wire brush wheel all around the valve and port..after you get it all back together..turn the head upside down with the valves facing up..pour a small amount of gas into the head where the valves are..watch it..if it holds..and don't leak..then your valves are seating < this saves alot of trouble before you put it all back together> and wonder why you don't have compression.hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts