Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with instructions on how to remove the race from the rear axle housing on my 2006 rubicon.
the bearing went up on it today and i have removed the hub with the pieces of bearing that were left. Now looking at this race i don't know how to go about getting the race out of the housing. Help
Don

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Are you talking about the bearing on the left side? If so, just unbolt the housing from the diff (4 bolts) and remove it and use a long piece of pipe or an old socket extension or anything that is long enough to go down through the housing and hit the bearing or what's left of it and knock it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response.
There is no other way to get this out without disturbing the gaskets and seals?

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Thanks for the quick response.
There is no other way to get this out without disturbing the gaskets and seals?
like helmut said..only way to get the race out..is to knock it out..you didn't say which side it's on ?..the brake side ?..or the left side tubbing ?..if it's on the brake side..you need to remove all of the brake side..brake backing plate needs to come off...remove the left side tire..left hub..axle nuts..remove the axle from the right side.with a long pipe..small enough to go through the differental all the way to the broken race..knock it out the right side, you may or may not be able to reuse the seal..depends on if you tear it up knocking it out...if the broken race is on the left rear side..just take the left tubbing off the differental..and with a short piece of pipe..knock the race and seal out..replace the bearing..and may or may not be able to reuse the seal..i would replace any seal you knock out..most seals get deformed when you hit on them...or pry on them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how to replace tie rod ends on 2006 rubicon

A co rider in our atv club needs to change his tie rod ends on his
2006 rubicon .
Does anyone have the instructions on how to do this?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
A co rider in our atv club needs to change his tie rod ends on his
2006 rubicon .
Does anyone have the instructions on how to do this?
thanks
easy job...remove the lower nuts on the tie rods..( where they connect to the stearing knuckles )..pull the cotter key out...then with a 14 mm wrench i think ?..and a 14 mm socket..take the nuts off..with a hammer..lighty hammer the tie rod ball joints out of the knuckles on both sides..do the same on the stearing steem..remember which way they face..because the steering and faces up..while the knuckle ends face down..before you remove the tie rod ball joints ( this is if he is going to re-use the same ball joints )..count the threads on the tie rods where the nut is..this is so he will know where to put them back !..one end is left hand threads..while the other is right hand threads...he may need to adjust the toe end after he replaces the tie rods...if the ball joints start to turn after you use the socket on the nut..place the 14 mm wrench in between the rubber boot..there should be a place to put the wrench on to hold it..while he takes the nut off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts