Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I got this quad from my father-in-law and it has been sitting for 7+ years. When I got it home, I started taking things apart to get it going and I don't remember how this air filter fit into the fitting in the air box. Does the metal neck of the inner screen/filter go INTO the fitting on the airbox? Does the hose clamp then secure around the neck of the black plastic fitting that the metal neck is in? I figured it did, but I can't get it in and I don't want to break it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
yeah what he said. Also try starting the bottom in first, then rocking it side to side, until it all pops into place. Also is there any filter oil on that filter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loosen the clamp, then slide it into the fitting on the airbox. The metal on the air filter will go inside and the airfilter will go over the fitting on airbox, then tighten the clamp down.
Thanks for the response. So the metal neck goes into the plastic - I will give it another shot and try forcing it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah what he said. Also try starting the bottom in first, then rocking it side to side, until it all pops into place. Also is there any filter oil on that filter?
Loosen the clamp, then slide it into the fitting on the airbox. The metal on the air filter will go inside and the airfilter will go over the fitting on airbox, then tighten the clamp down.
Thanks for the response. So the metal neck goes into the plastic - I will give it another shot and try forcing it in.
Correct, also like m_quick said , you need some filter oil.. If their isn't any?

Thanks again guys. I bought the filter from the dealer, it came sealed and it seems to have oil on it....do you normally have to add more?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up taking the air filter off of the metal screen so I could get a good grip and force that metal neck into the plastic. Once I got it in there once, it was easier to get it on with the filter the second time.

Now if the rest of my parts would show up....I wish I would have just ordered everything from the dealer.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
One more question about your filter, you said it came sealed and seamed to be oiled? Is it tacky to the touch? If you messed with it as much as it sounds to get it installed, you would know it was oiled, not answer it seamed to. And I'm just trying to help. The filter is only the secondary method for stopping dirt from entering the intake. The 1st method is the tacky filter oil.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
And I just viewed your 1st filter picture on pc, it looks like a dry filter, like I thought from cell phone view but idk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more question about your filter, you said it came sealed and seamed to be oiled? Is it tacky to the touch? If you messed with it as much as it sounds to get it installed, you would know it was oiled, not answer it seamed to. And I'm just trying to help. The filter is only the secondary method for stopping dirt from entering the intake. The 1st method is the tacky filter oil.
Thanks for following up. Yes, it is definitely tacky and has oil on it. When I first opened it, I didn't even realize it was supposed to be oiled and noticed the oil on the rubber first (thought it was just from packaging). Once you guys mentioned it, I noticed that it was oiled. I tried not to handle it by grabbing the actual foam too much, so as to not wipe off the oil, but had to a little bit. I had on latex gloves and they were quite oily!

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Thanks for following up. Yes, it is definitely tacky and has oil on it. When I first opened it, I didn't even realize it was supposed to be oiled and noticed the oil on the rubber first (thought it was just from packaging). Once you guys mentioned it, I noticed that it was oiled. I tried not to handle it by grabbing the actual foam too much, so as to not wipe off the oil, but had to a little bit. I had on latex gloves and they were quite oily!

Thanks again.
Good Deal! I was just wanting to make sure. And I'm not used to clear oil, but I know my original oem filter was oiled clear. Be sure and keep us up to date on the rest of your mods.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same sort of predicament. Exact same issue. Previous owner discarded the inner metal air filter body/support/screen. Also the end bracket. New OE air filter is tacky pre-oiled, apparently a clear or yellow oil.

Wasn't easy to slip the last of the air filter rubber over the inner metal body. And now I'm stuck trying to get the metal inside the rubber from the carburetor and the rubber from the filter over the rubber from the carburetor at the same time. Has not been correctly assembled for at least a year.

Hate to take the foam off the metal body as it was so hard to get on but guessing I need to do as hondamoto and practice inserting the metal into the rubber from carburetor, possibly stretch it back to where it needs to be. And once I can do that I can try doing it with the filter at the same time.

·
Premium Member
12,606 Posts
Grumpy , it would help to put the model and year of your atv in the post ,also make your own post as this post is from 2016 and I never looked back on who posted in this thread but would think they are long gone ---- it can be hard getting the filter over the screen , be careful to not cut your fingers as the edge of the screen can be sharp -----start a thread with model and year , TRX300 Fourtraxs had two different size screens over the years , I see you mentioned the PO discarded the screen , so what model you got

1 - 12 of 12 Posts