Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Do you have a cheap head?

I have always been of the opinion that when riding off road vehicles you must protect the single most important decision-making part of your body and that’s your head. However I have noticed that in the passing years many people choose to buy the cheapest ATV helmet they can find all the while not knowing if it would even protect them in a crash. To make matters worse people will by their children even cheaper head protection. This short read will hopefully help you make the right decision when choosing a helmet.

Let’s take a brief glance into the many certifications that can be found on the legitimate helmets at your local dealer. We have all seen the DOT, SNELL and ECE stamps usually tucked down at the bottom of the backside of your helmet, but we want you to understand what each one means.

Check out the article here: How To Choose the Right ATV Helmet - ATV.com

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Only thing in the article I ?? is, the deal on price of helmet
just cause one costs more, doesn't mean safer, a good as safe as made (minus extremes here) will work and be as safe as any with same safety ratings, most HIGHER end helmets, tend to cost more due to most current style color graphic's and the the WEIGHT of the helmet, lighter, drives prices up
yet safety ratings have NOTHING to do with these added costs
I am NOT saying go buy a cheap helmet here at all
But many times you can find a what was a 500 dollar helmet, as a left over on sale for half price, or even lower, and it doesn't mean its a less safe helmet by any means
so Price alone doesn't mean safer at all IMO

next I wish they would have pointed out safety being compromised on helmets ,
as if you drop one on HARD ground, pavement or??
they can be damaged, as damage can occur without showing signs of it, helmets are MADE to only really absorb ONE good impact and then there supposed to be replaced
something I know very few ever do
helmets are like EGG shells a crack spreads, and some cracks are on the inside from being dropped like and you DON"T see, yet shell is way weaker

LAST< is shelf life, helmets also age and become weaker over time

and few folks again know this I gather
or care maybe??
just feel it looks OK, that it is?

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
When I started riding, dad bought me the best Snell available--huge! Still put good money into brain buckets and feel nekkid without one. Decals and paint jobs get people to wear them--my old Hondaline had these wide reflective sideburns--loved it!!
Newest helmet is a modular HJC IS-Max--paid $210--inner glare shield. I can lift the chin piece to talk with other riders. Worth it

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
just to point this out
but YRS back, and NOT sure if still today, but could see how it could be still an issue
but yrs back, they proved that PAINTING a already painted helmet and or adding stickers, the paint and glue on them could cause issue's with shell integrity, and that could weaken the helmet
they advised against it for a long time, YES folks did it
and still do,
but I would have to think, some paints, pending what chemicals in them as to glue on a decal, could ????
I was never one to add that, buy em as I like and have it

so heads up on this, feel free to look into things more if anyone cares to

·
Registered
194 Posts
I wear a 5/8 helmet I bought at the Harley store. It is what I wear on the hi way when riding my Silverwing. It fits well and can be worn all day. I like the sliding plexi face shield,
as well as the chin strap. If I remember it was about 250$ish.

While on a safety apparel topic I wear motorcycle gloves as well for comfort and protection. Motorcycle gloves are cut to fit a fist, car gloves are cut to look good laying flat in their Christmas box. It is exhausting to wear car gloves and hold on to a handle grip.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I wear a 5/8 helmet I bought at the Harley store. It is what I wear on the hi way when riding my Silverwing. It fits well and can be worn all day. I like the sliding plexi face shield,
as well as the chin strap. If I remember it was about 250$ish.

While on a safety apparel topic I wear motorcycle gloves as well for comfort and protection. Motorcycle gloves are cut to fit a fist, car gloves are cut to look good laying flat in their Christmas box. It is exhausting to wear car gloves and hold on to a handle grip.
5/8 helmets are nice as they give goo open air, but to be honest in a had crash, they don't offer near as much protection as a full face helmet till
even from rocks and such being kicked up by bikes in front of you

they just MEET legal requirements in most states

you will NEVER see them in anyone racing due to the lesser protection
NOT bashing you, just giving you food for thought on them

if you spend any time on race tracks(MX) you will be amazed at HOW many helmets POP off in crashes by newer guys that don't fasten them correctly, and or just how many face plants happen, where an open face helmet would be a issue
, Just saying!

even NASCAR doesn't wear them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts