Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hear are some pictures of what you need to grind down on the shocks to get them to fit. Make sure the adjustable dampeners are mounted so you can get to them, the shocks are made to fit right and left and aren't interchangeable.

Also you have to grind down the back side corner of the of the shock, otherwise it will hit the frame and not fit. Good luck and hit me up with questions!

And BTW, my camera's color quality is low cause it was dark out. lol

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
545 Posts
did you have to knock the welded nuts off that hold the front pastic, and replace the bolts with something with a rounded head? i have had to do that on the past 2 400ex's i have owned when i installed R shocks. awesome upgrade, and very over looked IMO. of course im not a MX guy, just a trail rider that jumps at the most 8' high

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I didn't have to do anything to the 450R shocks when I put them on my 04' Z400, and I think the 400EX used the same exact shock as the 03-04 Z's.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
They look good and with minimum fab work.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
looking good man! That looks like an easy suspension upgrade! :)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you have to knock the welded nuts off that hold the front pastic, and replace the bolts with something with a rounded head? i have had to do that on the past 2 400ex's i have owned when i installed R shocks. awesome upgrade, and very over looked IMO. of course im not a MX guy, just a trail rider that jumps at the most 8' high
No, thats why I ground out the big notch on the front of the shock, just ground it down to fit around it, you can't see the grinds unless you look for them.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't have to do anything to the 450R shocks when I put them on my 04' Z400, and I think the 400EX used the same exact shock as the 03-04 Z's.
The frames are probably a little different between the two models, my buddies KFX 400 uses the same (stock) shock too, the R's won't fit without modification to either the shock or frame on the 400ex.

And thanks moose/my5sons!

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just put the 450R shocks on my 400ex and they were a little longer then my stock shocks now my front end is narrower and sits higher. i don't know if i should modify the a arm bracket to lower my quad back down.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I thought diamond j sold a shock relocation kit. Maybe only on the 300ex?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I thought diamond j sold a shock relocation kit. Maybe only on the 300ex?
The relocator is only needed for the 250X/300EX since the shocks are conciderably shorter, but you are correct sir.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just put the 450R shocks on my 400ex and they were a little longer then my stock shocks now my front end is narrower and sits higher. i don't know if i should modify the a arm bracket to lower my quad back down.
My 400 did the same thing, but its really just a minuet difference. Its a few millimeters if I’m correct. I haven’t had any issues out of it. If you put a 400 and a 450r next to each other you’ll notice that the shocks on the 450 are angles out a little wider due to it being 1 inch wider than the 400 so you could probably get away with widening the a-arms an inch but I don’t know for sure.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
can i do the same to my 86 250r with +3 arms
ya the 450r shocks will fit on the trx250r. the 86 stock shocks a lil shorter than the 450r shocks. but should work great with the +3 arms. you mite have to modify the air shrouds or get aftermarket ones that angle out . or put them so the reservours are facing the front

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'm planning on doing this real soon.
I should be able to get a set of them for about $100.

After the last time I went to a track I knew I needed something better if I ever wanted to go back haha

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are well worth the investment IMO. I think they should come with those shocks stock.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I just put them on today!
I haven't been able to take it out for a spin yet though
(still have the right crankcase cover off and waiting for parts)

I'm pretty pumped!
There wasn't even much work involved in getting them to fit :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
I found them for sale on trx450r.org in the classifieds.
It was a pretty sweet deal.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I want to put 450r shocks on my 400.. i have an 08. what year should i look for in the 450r to buy so theyll fit?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Any year. I believe they're all the same

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
28 Participants
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing