Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm looking into buying an 06 400ex. Im just wondering how long do these engines last? Does anyone know when they should get rebuilt? I would rather pm it than it blowing up on me when I'm in the middle of no where :icon_ ban:

·
Registered
9 Posts
These in my experience are a real reliable engine. Im sure the service manual says one thing, but with regular oil changes etc i would say one could go well over 500 hrs easily.

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
Uber reliable when maintained properly(oil,oil filter,air filter cleaned,re oiled as needed,tuned up,valves adjusted,etc.),and should last you many years unless you run one without an airbox,or go into deep water,or mud bog it... :r_c:

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Thats a good kit, but why do you want to replace it? It will only need replacing if the con rod is bad, and you won't know that until you take the top end off and measure the play in it.

Lots of good top end kits out there... what are you wanting to do with it? Stock or performance? High compression?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd rather keep it as stock as possible, but any performance gains without any machining i'll consider. As long as it doesn't shorten the engine life.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd rather keep it as stock as possible, but any performance gains without any machining i'll consider. As long as it doesn't shorten the engine life.
Changing the Sprockets (when yours wear out) and a Carb jet kit are two mods that will increase performance. I would caution you if your considering adding a pipe. They make more noise :icon_ nono2: and usually don't come with a spark arrester.
I'd stay away from them
Run the STOCK airfilter or a Uni Filter.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My friend has a 01 400 ex that he keeps in good condition (oil changes ect) and he rides it hard at least 2 times a week and its never been apart and that's 12 years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changing the Sprockets (when yours wear out) and a Carb jet kit are two mods that will increase performance. I would caution you if your considering adding a pipe. They make more noise :icon_ nono2: and usually don't come with a spark arrester.
I'd stay away from them
Run the STOCK airfilter or a Uni Filter.
Does a carb jet kit make a big difference?

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I would caution you if your considering adding a pipe. They make more noise :icon_ nono2: and usually don't come with a spark arrester.
I'd stay away from them
Very few pipes now days come without a spark arrestor. The one that do are for closed course competition. Are you aware that the Motoworks SR4 G2 pipe is rated at 94db? Did you know that a stock pipe is rated at about 93db? The performance gains you receive for adding 1db of sound is amazing.

An exhasut, intake and proper jetting are the best bang for your buck mods there are. You will not effect the life span of the motor, you will se a HUGE power increase over stock and you will still be within the legal sound limits of any state I have ever been in as well as AMA legal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
Redracer
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing