Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I know there are lots of these types of threads but I can’t really find a percentage or. Inner that says how much is generally too much.

I have a brand new Foreman 500. I don’t mind really but want a bit more aggressive tire. I like the ITP Blackwater EVOS

I was going to go to a 27 but I think they are too heavy. At 30 lbs.
26” is a bit better.
Going from stock at about 15lbs from to 26lbs for fronts
And rear from 18lbs to 26lbs, how severe will the power loss be? Using original rims.

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
There is a way to calculate the horsepower loss, but I forget how to do it. There maybe a website to calculate it.

Main thing is if you want to gain horsepower or, preserve horsepower, buying larger or heavier tires is not an option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m definitely not expecting to go in HO unless I do other mods. But I want to add some traction, a more robust tire and a little ground clearance without sacrificing too much.
I do have the ultra low 1st gear. And I do not treat it like a sport machine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’️m definitely not expecting to go in HO unless I do other mods. But I want to add some traction, a more robust tire and a little ground clearance without sacrificing too much.
I do have the ultra low 1st gear. And I do not treat it like a sport machine.
Sorry not sure how to edit a post.
Should say, “ I’m not expecting to go up in HP. “

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
There will be power loss but its not that bad. Weight makes a difference but it's only one part of it. Tire height and aggressiveness make a big difference as well.

26's will work good on it. 27's would too but you'll notice more power loss. You're only gaining a half inch of GC going to the 27's vs. 26's and with a trail tire it's probably not worth it.

I ran 27" Bighorn 2's on my Rubicon they were a good fit for the machine size wise. I don't know the weight of them. I've also ran 30" Silverbacks, 28" Silverbacks and 28" Mud Bugs on the same machine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the topic is best to death. I know the tires I want. Just looking at weights and such.

The dealer suggested Mudbugs 26x10x12 or 27x10x12 on all four corners. But I don’t want it to be square. I cross mid on trails so need something better then stock, but my goals are not mud. I want the ITP Blackwater EVOS, but the 27s are on the heavy side. The 26” EVOS are on par weight wise with the 26/27 mud bugs so they must not be seeing issues. All the dealer guys ride. But prefer mud.

If the power loss won’t be too severe, I think I’ll go with 26x9x12 and 26x11x12.

Been riding atv for years earlier in life but never owned one, then later (few years ago) I bought a used atv that already had upgraded tires. So this is my first time upgrading from stock.

I’m also a big boy and like the 8ply and armoured sodeall if the black water. Robust is good

Thanks for the input .

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put 26" Sedona Rip Saws on my 16 500 and it was a dog, took a loss and learned a lesson. They were very heavy, the rears were 39lbs and fronts 30lbs. I'd try to stay around 25lbs or less, JMO

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
something else your not maybe thinking about is, handling
weight on the far ends of axles, effect things more than many think, handling and ride quality will also ONLY get worse as you go taller and heavier tires!
most LIVE with it, to get the LOOKS and small gains!

I tell folks this, when you ride your ATV, do you ever think you have too much POWER RIGHT NOW ??
and on a Honda, Never ever herd anyone say YES LOL

SO< from here out it comes down to HOW much power are you willing to loose!
HOW you use your atv will make this a bigger decision or not IMO
if you just play about, do no major hard work or big hills, or super deep sticky mud
loosing power from an inch taller is NOT noticed, go taller and you start to feel the loss much more!
if loosing a little power really worth a 1/2 inch of ground clearance and harsher ride??
LOOKS matter to a lot I guess too, wee in a very superficial world anymore , where looks seem to matter more than function to a lot of folks! and NOT just talking atv's here!
food for thought here, no hate here meant!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
mrbb
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing