Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Figured I'd start a thread about one of my favorite things to do on my new ATV. Trail Ride.

Post how you like to trail ride, in what terrain, and any tips, tricks, or tools you use. (This is by no means limited to riding pre-cleared trails, any riding in the woods/country applies)

Personally, I love making my own trail through woods. If it's not covered with thorns 4 feet high, I like going through it, running over small trees, and clearing a new path.

I haven't had my ATV long enough to do this a lot but I think a machete would be a vital tool for this.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I like the forest service trails provided, they seem to be plenty challenging and afford us access to some unbelievable country. Breaking our own trails here would result in fines and potential loss of access to the thousands and thousands of miles of trails accessible in our state not only to me and my family but all the others that love this sport, not worth the risk to me. Not to mention the potential erosion factor caused by others that might follow that type of trail that I might have created. Just my 2 cents.

20150711_141544.jpg

20150907_150728.jpg

20160707_103015.jpg

20160918_104713.jpg

20160918_155000.jpg

·
Super Moderator
36,509 Posts
I like the forest service trails provided, they seem to be plenty challenging and afford us access to some unbelievable country. Breaking our own trails here would result in fines and potential loss of access to the thousands and thousands of miles of trails accessible in our state not only to me and my family but all the others that love this sport, not worth the risk to me. Not to mention the potential erosion factor caused by others that might follow that type of "off the beaten path" trail. Just my 2 cents.

View attachment 61530

View attachment 61538

View attachment 61546

View attachment 61554

View attachment 61562
that is some awesome land there bro !!, i'd love to take a ride in that area. just...WOW !!!.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Shade, it really is awesome to be able to ride here, we are truly blessed. I hope I didn't offend anyone by my comment, I just wouldn't want to take the chance of losing accessibility to these wonderful trails. Our only downfall is that the trail riding season is so short, only about 4 months due to the altitude and the snow arriving so early and staying for so long. Unfortunately that's the bummer part. As it is we have so many people making short cut trails between switch backs so we already have access concerns. Plus a lot of our areas are so steep it would be "bye bye birdy." The forest service does an amazing job on our trails keeping them in great shape, lots of work.

·
Super Moderator
36,509 Posts
Shade, it really is awesome to be able to ride here, we are truly blessed. I hope I didn't offend anyone by my comment, I just wouldn't want to take the chance of losing accessibility to these wonderful trails. Our only downfall is that the trail riding season is so short, only about 4 months due to the altitude and the snow arriving so early and staying for so long. Unfortunately that's the bummer part. As it is we have so many people making short cut trails between switch backs we already have access concerns. The forest service does an amazing job on our trails keeping them in great shape, lots of work.
no offense taken bro, I truly understand how you feel about making our own trials ?..I don't like this either. why ruin a great way to ride for everyone else ?..stay on the beaten path, and enjoy the land :).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Amen to that guys, sorry rancherinthewoods, we wouldn't get away with that here either, as fun as it sounds to explore and create, it would be too risky to chance.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
My trails tend to be a bit damp, although a lot of it is old rail beds as well.

As far as making my own path or bushwhacking as I call it, I don't really do it around here, a bit on my own property but that's it. When I was in Alberta I did a lot of it. You'd have to scout the location for a well of something and didn't want to walk a couple miles off the nearest seismic line or pipeline ROW so you'd just push the quads through the bush.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
I personally like to ride a lot of different terrain, on the atv anymore I am like an old fart I guess, I enjoy more going slow and seeing critters and what not's
I have a wide range of terrain here, from woods, to old coal mine property to farm lands, to a lot of swamps and streams and watery area's

BUT since there are VERY few LEGAL trails in my home state, I tend to ride on private property I have access to, and most are rather strict on any OFF trail riding, due to how damaging an ATV can be to the environment
randomly riding thru the woods sounds good, but it honestly does a lot more damage than you think, and with an ATV, after just a few passes, that wooded area NOW become a trail and a major erosion area
35+ yrs in same area and seen how much damage atv's have done and changed the landscape here over the last 15 yrs
SO< before you go riding randomly thru the woods, you might want to find out if its legal, or if the land owner allows, or you could end up with a bunch of fines or pi$$ed off land owners!!

also want to add this, in my area on LEGAL trails that run thru private lands, the number one reason trails get closed here if when a rider goes off trail and land owner gets pi$$ed off and then doesn;t allow ANYONE to ride there any more
so major side effect can happen from going off trail!
My snowmobile club looses about 25+ miles of trails every yr due to guys that leave the trail and land owners close there land to us!
and its NOT just in PA< this happens
as they say some times its just a few bad apples that ruin the fun for all

and
Not trying to bash, just honest advice!! as I don't know if its legal to ride off trail where your at!
but heads up please, and check into it?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
We have thousands of miles of logging road in British Columbia ..... from very active to overgrown and barely discernable ...... very lucky!
Great photos Fflyer ...... elk in the third photo.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Trail Riding

Here in Arizona there is NO legal busting trails. Besides the cactus would raise heck with your tires pronto.

Every time our Federal Govt makes another land grab ( see Utah) there is less ground for public use. Much of the west is public land and it is great. The fastest way to restrict access to public land is to tear it up. Other people do not like this. They vote, there are lots of them.

25 years ago ATVs got a terrible wrap and much of it was deserved. There are still torn up mountainsides to give testimony to a lot of indiscretion (motorcycles too ).

I ride established non technical two lane ranch roads and old drilling roads. In the Forest the FS has many trails to ride (and some are very technical). I love going out and seeing Arizona from the seat of a Quad. It is a very cool pastime. I went today. Maybe again tomorrow.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm happy as long as I'm going sideways :D

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
bush wack'ing to make new trails is fun , be careful where you do it at , I seen two cases happen locally last year around here where people took there atv's and utv's onto someones property , did a lot of damage to the roads and trees , one case they are looking at $25k to bring in heavy equipment to repair the roads , plus their fines , the second case never hit the court yet , it's been 6 months are more and 4 of them still have not got their bikes , trailers and trucks back yet , would guess by now they have so much storage fees involved , they may not want to pay to get them back --------- I live 3 miles from a Federal Game Reserve and I couldn't imagine what it would cost if they caught you bush wack'ing , they don't let you ride atv's in there , every fine in there starts at $5K , if you are a first offender , good record , only one charge and get lucky you might get $2,500 , now days the restitution is what kills you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the forest service trails provided, they seem to be plenty challenging and afford us access to some unbelievable country. Breaking our own trails here would result in fines and potential loss of access to the thousands and thousands of miles of trails accessible in our state not only to me and my family but all the others that love this sport, not worth the risk to me. Not to mention the potential erosion factor caused by others that might follow that type of trail that I might have created. Just my 2 cents.

View attachment 61530

View attachment 61538

View attachment 61546

View attachment 61554

View attachment 61562
Wow. Unbelievable views & terrain there. We have a lot of flat, woody area so we rarely get glimpses at that much terrain. Looks like so much fun.

The off-trail riding I do is almost exclusively on private property, with the permission of the owner, and definitely isn't random. As I said, I enjoy making my own trails because that allows access to new destinations that were previously inaccessible(because there was no trail).

On public land, I stick to the cleared trails. Not sure if riding off-trail is allowed here or not. I've heard it both ways.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If you can run OR HAVE RUN, 8,000 pound pickups, 90,000 pound trucks, 45,000 pound skidders, and bulldozers on the land YOU ARE NOT GOING TO WRECK IT WITH A COUPLE ATVS... The same rules of erosion that apply in the mountains doesn't really apply in the flat lands of the mid part of the country.. Forest Circus is filled with a bunch of halftard left wing, nut jobs.. They just want to close off land because the environmentalists pad the pockets and campaigns of useless politicians LIKE ocrapo.. Turn most of the land back to the states to manage and get the political bull (#(t out of it.. Why should some idiots in dumb%uckastan (Left and east coasts), dictate what happens in Wisconsin or in any other part of the country.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
I see in the news the present administration just tied up 1.3 million acres of Utah and Nevada with Federal Lands tag , any of you guys going to lose your riding spots ?

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
as for the states having control over the land use, DON"T wish that,. here in PA< there is MORE federal lands open to atv's than there is state land, our state dept workers would rather all lands be NON motorized use, other than for THEM< which they drive all over all the time
Nothing like walking in a few miles to have a hunting spot far from traffic, to have game wardens driving up and down old logging roads all day long, because too lazy to walk!

SO having the state control things isn't any better, best thing I see is CLUBS, where a whole bunch of members stand up and fight for use and learn how to get grants and do good things for the NON atv/snowmobile minded folks, to see the good , atv's and land use can have on economic's of an area

atv'/snopwmobiler's spend MONEY, to enjoy our toys, more places we can ride, more places we can spend money

BUT sadly, its the BAD apples out there that do more damage than good, and why so many places get closed or are off limits

its the breaking of trails where NO trail was, that harms more places than it doesn't

and its them bad apples that get the public's panties in a bunch, and way harder to fix a BAD rep, than keep a good one!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts