Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I make my 1993 honda 300ex catch up to a 400ex. Would I buy a new air filter better carb?? Also would a slip on muffler gain me more power?

·
Registered
85 Posts
You well the 300 and get a 400. If you want to be a one plus abut it, you get a new one, maybe the 420. Then, you have what you want, with o problems and nothing to do.

You can't turn a 300 into a 400. Maybe if the block is the same, you could put a larger cylinder onto it, but that probably would cause as many problems as it would solve.

The easiest solution is sell what you don't want and buy what you want. That way you have what you want.
dc

·
Registered
283 Posts
so we want a 300ex to have 400ex power or more...ok so this is what we do.

5 angle valve job, ported intake and exhaust sports
high end exhaust that flows
larger diameter carb
fly cut cylinder .010 to .020 to raise compression
OEM piston with new rings (you use OEM due to them being very light and keeping rotating weight off the cranks)

We did this to my raptor 660 and took it up to 60hp, the cost $2100

should you do this to a 300ex yes only if you have a blown up machine you got for under $500. If you spend good money on a nice 300ex let it stock. Wont make sense to have a 4-5K 300ex unless you racing nationals.

don't believe me 32years of being into this sport.

I'm building one now since I parted 5 machines and got $3800 in my pocket and a free machine. If not I'd not build one. I'm old and need to ride slow with my daughter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so we want a 300ex to have 400ex power or more...ok so this is what we do.

5 angle valve job, ported intake and exhaust sports
high end exhaust that flows
larger diameter carb
fly cut cylinder .010 to .020 to raise compression
OEM piston with new rings (you use OEM due to them being very light and keeping rotating weight off the cranks)

We did this to my raptor 660 and took it up to 60hp, the cost $2100

should you do this to a 300ex yes only if you have a blown up machine you got for under $500. If you spend good money on a nice 300ex let it stock. Wont make sense to have a 4-5K 300ex unless you racing nationals.

don't believe me 32years of being into this sport.

I'm building one now since I parted 5 machines and got $3800 in my pocket and a free machine. If not I'd not build one. I'm old and need to ride slow with my daughter.
Okay thank you, I think it would be cheaper to just get a 400ex or 450 lol

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
238 Posts
Selling it and getting a 400 or 450 is the way to go.
Even if you make the 300 faster it wont handle near as good as the 400ex.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts