Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a Honda Fourtrax 250 for my son. i plan to fix it up and give it to him for Christmas. i don't know what year it is and i'm not sure how to find out. any help would br appreciated.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. If you can post the tenth digit (letter or number) of the VIN, I can tell you the year. The VIN is located on the front of the frame on the crosspiece between the two vertical frame rails if it is the '97-'11 Recon 250 model. If it's the '85-'87 Fourtrax 250, it's located on the round tube that the front suspension arm attaches to, at the front of the frame, down near the bottom.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Those pictures show the sticker with the date of manufacture, but the VIN is down lower on the big tube that the front suspension arms attach to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do I find the Year model

Hello, I am in the same boat as you are. I can find the serial number, but I can't find a tag (anywhere) that shows the year of the 250 FourTrax that I just bought. I have a serial number, but that is all. So, if you get any replies, I too would be appreciative of this information as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Helmut, I am going to give you my serial number here. I think it might be a 1986, but not sure. The # is JH3TE0603FC034269. I am having sooo much trouble finding a way to order parts, particularly the gas cut off switch. I got this thing running, but the gas just pours out of the gas tank. I am a retired machinist, so I have tried everything under the book to fix this cut off valve. The gas tank on this think is plastic and not metal, and I thought that the gas tanks for the 85-86 were metal. I was told that I could buy one from a dealer for $71. That seems just way too extreme for me for a diecast/potmetal piece. Is there a place/site where a fellow can find used parts? Thanks to anyone for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. dr feelgood. I just checked out my vin and found that mine is a 1985. I am really surprised, I kinda thought the gas tank being plastic meant it was a newer model. At least now I know more about it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Are you talking about the gas petcock? That has a lever, and you can turn the gas on, off and to reserve?

Rob

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the forums. If you can post the tenth digit (letter or number) of the VIN, I can tell you the year. The VIN is located on the front of the frame on the crosspiece between the two vertical frame rails if it is the '97-'11 Recon 250 model. If it's the '85-'87 Fourtrax 250, it's located on the round tube that the front suspension arm attaches to, at the front of the frame, down near the bottom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts