Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today My Foreman 500FM died on me going down the road at 45mph. Took the valve cover off and the exhaust rocker was seized about in the middle so the exhaust valve was stuck partially open. All I can think of is that it wasn't getting lubrication, so my question is how can you check to be sure the oil pump is pumping oil properly? I have an oil pressure tester but I don't see where I can connect it to test the oil pressure. I really don't want to pull the clutch cover to check the oil pump specs. Also that would not tell me if an oil port was clogged.
Not sure what to do here, one other thing, the oil coolers do not get warm after maybe 15mins ride. And the head seems to be getting to hot @ 350 deg. not sure what it is supposed to be though.
I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a TRX300, not sure if its the same but if you take off the pumps cover and slowly kick over the engine with the key off, and the pump spindle turns and oil is pumping you know you are getting lubrication

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
There should be a bleed screw on the top of the head. You can crack it while its running. That should tell you if oil is flowing North

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
There should be a bleed screw on the top of the head. You can crack it while its running. That should tell you if oil is flowing North
x2, on some machines there will be a bleed screw on the head, an external oil line running up to the head that you can crack loose, or an inspection plug on the jug that plugs an oil gallery running up to the head... Your manual should say which and you can download it for free on this website.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the bleed screw on top of the head? Would that be in the middle on top of the valve cover?
I have a manual but it doesn't say anything about a bleed screw. I was just looking at the manual and if I understand the oil flow diagram it looks like the oil flows from the crankcase up to the valves via one of the holes for one of the head studs. Now I used a gasket maker to seal the cylinder to the crankcase because the gasket was not coming off. Some gasket maker may have squeezed out over the oil passage and is restricting the oil flow.
Does this sound like a possibility?

·
Super Moderator
36,569 Posts
Where is the bleed screw on top of the head? Would that be in the middle on top of the valve cover?
I have a manual but it doesn't say anything about a bleed screw. I was just looking at the manual and if I understand the oil flow diagram it looks like the oil flows from the crankcase up to the valves via one of the holes for one of the head studs. Now I used a gasket maker to seal the cylinder to the crankcase because the gasket was not coming off. Some gasket maker may have squeezed out over the oil passage and is restricting the oil flow.
first..never..EVER USE RTV SEALANT ! second..the so-called bleeder screw they are talking about is not a bleeder screw..if your atv is a trx300 ?..or trx250 ?..along this line ?..this bleeder screw they are calling is the outter oil line that runs from the crank case..out side the motor..up the side of the cylinder..and attaches to the right side of the rocker box..loosen the banjo bolt..crank the motor over a few sec's..if your oil pump is pumping..and the lower hole that you may..or may not have covered with that sealant ?..lol..is not clogged ?..then it will not take but a few sec's to see oil spurting from the loose banjo bolt at the rocker box cover !.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O.K I know about those outer lines but I havea 500 and it doesn't have one. Why not use rtv sealant? I have used it lots of times and never had any problems.
If I removed the valve cover and cranked the engine would I be able to see the oil coming up into that area?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
first..never..EVER USE RTV SEALANT ! second..the so-called bleeder screw they are talking about is not a bleeder screw..if your atv is a trx300 ?..or trx250 ?..along this line ?..this bleeder screw they are calling is the outter oil line that runs from the crank case..out side the motor..up the side of the cylinder..and attaches to the right side of the rocker box..loosen the banjo bolt..crank the motor over a few sec's..if your oil pump is pumping..and the lower hole that you may..or may not have covered with that sealant ?..lol..is not clogged ?..then it will not take but a few sec's to see oil spurting from the loose banjo bolt at the rocker box cover !.
Read the OP BROTHER. He rides a 500. So it will have a bleed screw
I second the RTV statement

·
Super Moderator
36,569 Posts
O.K I know about those outer lines but I havea 500 and it doesn't have one. Why not use rtv sealant? I have used it lots of times and never had any problems.
If I removed the valve cover and cranked the engine would I be able to see the oil coming up into that area?
i'll tell you why not to use rtv sealant !!..lol...rtv sealant will harden..then break off inside the motor..then fall down in the lower engine case..then stop the oil pump up !!..this is why you use hondabond..or yamabond..it never cures fully...semi-hardens so to speak..and seals very well !. no need to remove the valve cover..or what i call..rocker box..just remove the valve inpsection caps..crank her over..if your oil isn't blocked off by that sealant you used on the lower base ??..then you will be able to see oil making it to the top of the engine. my guess is...if you blocked off the oil passage down on top of the lower engine case where your cylinder meets the case ?..you will not get oil to flow to the top of the motor very well ?..or at all !.

·
Super Moderator
36,569 Posts
Read the OP BROTHER. He rides a 500. So it will have a bleed screw
I second the RTV statement
lol..read just fine..i'm just blind !..lmfao. somewhere back up there ^^??..i think i posted what kinda engine ??..lmfao.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O.K. didn't know that about rtv. I am always careful to only put a very thin film to try to keep it from squeezing out into the crankcase. I also have some gasket sealer which does not harden, stays tacky, it is made by Permatex. I will have to check tomorrow and see if I have oil flow up to the rockers.
Can somebody tell me what this bleed screw thing is? I am not aware of this.

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Super Moderator
36,569 Posts
O.K. didn't know that about rtv. I am always careful to only put a very thin film to try to keep it from squeezing out into the crankcase. I also have some gasket sealer which does not harden, stays tacky, it is made by Permatex. I will have to check tomorrow and see if I have oil flow up to the rockers.
Can somebody tell me what this bleed screw thing is? I am not aware of this.

Thanks for all the help guys.
i'm not aware of this bleeder screw location ?..( which i just found out !..lol )..but trx2fiveo maybe can tell you where it's located ?..look in your service manual ..it should show and tell you ?.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
O, Crud!!!! I just went out to look at my 4 wheeler and at the base of the cylinder where it mounts to the crankcase I see a piece of paper towel sticking out!! If a piece of paper towel fell in the crankcase where would it go? Would it get sucked into the oil strainer screen most probably? if that is the case then the oil would definitely be restricted to the pump.
Any thoughts here?

·
Super Moderator
36,569 Posts
O, Crud!!!! I just went out to look at my 4 wheeler and at the base of the cylinder where it mounts to the crankcase I see a piece of paper towel sticking out!! If a piece of paper towel fell in the crankcase where would it go? Would it get sucked into the oil strainer screen most probably? if that is the case then the oil would definitely be restricted to the pump.
Any thoughts here?
all i can tell you is bro ?..is tear it down..and go back through it...ask yourself....if i don't do this ??.is it really worth blowing my atv up ??..lol. my answer ?..tear it back down..and go back through it...i know i would !..lol.

·
Super Moderator
36,569 Posts
Yeah, that really stinks. I'll guess I'll do that tomorrow.
trust me bro..your not the first person to get that done ?..i can remember back many moons ago..i just tightened down the very last bolt on a trx250 motor sitting in the floor..that i rebuilt from inside out mind you !..no sooner than i tightened down that last bolt ???..i looked over to the side..seen the dang cam chain tensoner laying there !..lmfaoooo..sooo..again..most of us either have been there ??..or going to be there soon !..lmfao.

·
Registered
862 Posts
twisted off one of the bolts holding my oil filter cover on and had to crack the case to get the pieces out. Biggest pain in the *** oil change ever.

·
Super Moderator
36,569 Posts
twisted off one of the bolts holding my oil filter cover on and had to crack the case to get the pieces out. Biggest pain in the *** oil change ever.
lmao..don't ya just love it when thing's happen like that ?!!..lmfaoooo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Not really, lol. I just tore down the top end, and it's not looking good. First I took off the valve cover/rocker cover/cylinder head cover, Whatever you call it!
and turned the engine over for maybe 20 secs and no oil came through the oil port, I mean NONE! So that would explain why the head was getting so hot but the oil temp light didn't come on (and I already tested the oil temp circuit and it works). So no oil was getting to the top end, all it had up there was what I put when rebuilding. also it may have got some oil pumped up there before the paper towel tore and made its way to the bottom of the crankcase. So, so far I need a valve cover cause I can't get the bearing rod out that the rocker rocks on. And the connecting rod is severely worn on the piston side, making a tapping sound and up and down play when pull/push the piston from the top.
So I will have to tear the whole engine down, I have seen where I can buy just the connecting rod, is this hard to replace? Never replaced this kind of rod before, do you have to press the crankshaft apart? Need help here, and where is a good place to get it from?
Also what else should I look for being worn? I imagine the parts in the lower portion of the case will be alright due to the oil being sloshed around down there.
What happened is when I was rebuilding the top end I put paper towel across the opening in the case to keep anything from falling in. Then I forgot to remove it before installing the cylinder. I still can't believe I didn't see it!!!

Thanks again for all the help. I guess if I was to look at the bright side, at least it happened to my bike and not one of my customers.:)

Edit: will a 2001 rubicon TRX500fa crankshaft fit my foreman TRX500FM?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts