Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Basically guys I know nothing about them other than they raise the rev limit of my ATV if fitted. What else do they offer? Which one would you buy and where from? There's so many on eBay!

I'm currently in the process of the wiseco high comp piston and the big red cam mod, if the big red cam isn't great I'll opt for a 40b webcam.
Will it be worthwhile buying a hotshot cdi to accompany this mod or won't it have much affect?

Thank you in advance, I've learnt a lot already from you all on here :)

EDIT: Apolgies Mods for posting in the wrong section.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
More agressive timing curve, hotter spark, raised rev limiter. Guys running them seem to be quite happy. They are all made by Rick's as far as I know, just look for one for a 98-00 TRX300 as the CDI's are different on the older models.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More agressive timing curve, hotter spark, raised rev limiter. Guys running them seem to be quite happy. They are all made by Rick's as far as I know, just look for one for a 98-00 TRX300 as the CDI's are different on the older models.
Thanks Mac.

In your opinion Will it be worthwhile alongside the piston and cam mod? I'm only guessing but I should imagine it would have some noticeable difference. With a hotter spark is it necessary to change the spark plug or do you run the stock plug?
This is unknown territory for me if I'm honest.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Plug should be ok, although one range colder might not be a terrible idea either. By hotter I mean bigger spark, more intense, not necessarily temperature wise, just what they claim anyway, who knows if it's significant. Timing and rev limiter are however, significant over stock at least in the 92+ models. IMO it's worthwhile for the $65 or whatever it is they cost, but don't throw away your OE CDI either, you may end up needing it down the road down the road, and maybe sooner rather than later. The quality in my experience has been a bit questionable, last one I bought a few years ago was a dud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bringing this thread back up...

I'm now looking to buy a hot shot cdi, I only know about Ricks as that's all I've heard mentioned on here. What other reputable brands are there to look out for?

There are LOTS on eBay, Chinese, Taiwanese, some even priced at £10.99 posted, I won't be buying one of those though!

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have a look around,

Cheers Mac.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I went with Ricks, & noticed a good improvement. I'd recommend them!!!

( Ill get your exhaust price tomorrow! )

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome. Thanks Wheeler.

I've got the Big Red (it's actually an 85 TRX250) cam fitted now and noticed quite an improvement. IMO it was definitely worth fitting.
Hoping that the CDI will give it that little bit more.

Going to replace the timing chain too before I fit a cdi, it's a little stretched already, don't want it to jump a few teeth and bugger things up!

Sticking with the standard piston for now as the compression seemed ok, don't see the point in tearing the motor down just yet.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Awesome. Thanks Wheeler.

I've got the Big Red (it's actually an 85 TRX250) cam fitted now and noticed quite an improvement. IMO it was definitely worth fitting.

Going to replace the timing chain too before I fit a cdi, it's a little stretched already, don't want it to jump a few teeth and bugger things up!

Sticking with the standard piston for now as the compression seemed ok, don't see the point in tearing the motor down just yet.
The pursuit of more power is always a valid reason to tear an engine down.....:happy:

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome. Thanks Wheeler.

The pursuit of more power is always a valid reason to tear an engine down.....:happy:

Haha.. I suppose it is, but where does it end?!
I need to spend a little time putting the donor motor into the mrs' 250, then I'm guessing that will need a few dollars spent on it too.
She'll want pink hand guards, grips, helmet, gloves etc etc :laugh:

I'd like to do a big bore if I'm honest. My plan so far is to look out for another motor and do a full rebuild & big bore. Gives me more time to source parts including a GR, Plus I can still use my 300 while I'm doing the build.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Lol I have a 432cc stroker motor sitting on my shelf for the 300 Honda just waiting for the day I get some ambition to fix a few things in it. Buying the second motor is a smart idea.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ooh! 432! That sounds like it will go well :big grin:

Yeh, I'm trying to do to much all at the same time really, and it's next to impossible. I figured if I settle for it as it is at the moment and just do a new build big bore engine with GR I can take my time and probably save money by waiting for parts to turn up at the right price.
Plus the mrs won't notice the bank account going down over a period of time :laugh:

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Lol I have a 432cc stroker motor sitting on my shelf for the 300 Honda just waiting for the day I get some ambition to fix a few things in it. Buying the second motor is a smart idea.

Now if you were a Land Rover man we could swap you some parts for the stroker :biggrin:

You blokes have ATV parts all over and we have Land Rover parts you guys struggle to find cluttering the place up :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Now if you were a Land Rover man we could swap you some parts for the stroker :biggrin:

You blokes have ATV parts all over and we have Land Rover parts you guys struggle to find cluttering the place up :laugh:
Oh indeed.. We're always open to good deals :big grin: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, Ricks hotshot series CDI's are only for 94-97 according to them. Has anybody tried one on another year just to see?
What would the differences be, any ideas?

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Pretty sure I've seen them for the other years as well. I think there was a link to the 98-00 box in Wheelers thread? Not sure what year yours is. As far as I know they should work in the older machines, the 98-00 have a different plug.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll try and find wheelers thread. I don't know the differences between the years, so I'm blind with this mod really.
I did have an email back off Ricks though and there going to see if anything can be made up to suit my 98.

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
seems the 98 Rick's CDI cost double what I paid for my 95 ---- this link to e-bay was the first one that popped up , I didn't shop the price ----------- the Rick's CDI seems better to me , when I first put it in I rode the bike for a couple of weekends but was having a cam chain slack issue so never really felt the difference , the Tiny Tack did show an increase in max rpm's , rebuilt the upper , but I have not really got down on it yet and I have never high rev'ed it yet , we rode a lot last weekend and I am close to 20 hours on the rebuild , I think after this Saturday I will be opening it up , 25 hours is going to be the magic break in number for me and then it is on , so I would think Sunday I should be opening it up with the Tiny Tack hooked up for the ride , I don't leave it on the bike , just got it for testing

Ricks Electric Hot Shot CDI Box Honda TRX300 98-00 TRX300 FourTrax 98-00 | eBay

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Fish.. My only concern with eBay CDI's is that there are a lot here that are selling as 'Ricks'. When I spoke to Ricks direct they tell me they don't currently make a performance CDI for 98-00 so, who is making the 'Ricks' eBay brands?
Just seems a bit suspicious.
My other concern is, if the no name or copies aren't programmed properly can they knacker my engine?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.