Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery in my 1997 Honda Foreman died. This time I could not find a battery at a Auto Parts store, and went to my local Honda Dealer.
The dealer brought out the battery that was supposed to be for my bike, but the posts were backwards. They started to tell me that the bike had been modified by someone before I bought it.
The problem with that is that I bought the bike new in 1997 and I have never modified it.
Has anyone else seen or heard of this before?
Thanks for any help.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
what is the number on the battery they sold you ?. most atv batteries when sitting in the holder hole, have the neg on the right, and pos on the left ( as your sitting on the atv ). and the battery post are on the rear side of the battery.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
post a pic?
I have a 1999 400 foreman bought new, never had a issue getting a battery at a local auto parts store
auto zone and advanced auto or NAPA
all 3 carry them in stock here?
its a rather common sized OEM battery ??

I think your dealer is trying to get ride of batterys he has in stock>?

· Registered
8,309 Posts
if the battery your showing here is your's then it not like mine, mine has pos on the right side REAR, where your's is on the right side FRONT of the battery?
I wonder if someone put a lawn mower batter in your atv at some point, and thus why its not like the OEM design for it is!

I can take a pic of mine tomorrow if you like, I have a 1999 400 foreman!
or you can even look in a service manual, too, they have OEM pic's of what they should look like
if you DON"T have a s ervice manual, you can get a free download online if you look<
do a search here on this site, and you an find a link for them too!

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
if the battery your showing here is your's then it not like mine, mine has pos on the right side REAR, where your's is on the right side FRONT of the battery?
I wonder if someone put a lawn mower batter in your atv at some point, and thus why its not like the OEM design for it is!

I can take a pic of mine tomorrow if you like, I have a 1999 400 foreman!
or you can even look in a service manual, too, they have OEM pic's of what they should look like
if you DON"T have a s ervice manual, you can get a free download online if you look<
do a search here on this site, and you an find a link for them too!
when you say right rear side ?, is this looking backwards ?, or when sitting on it ?, because most Honda batteries have the neg on right rear, and pos left rear facing backwards when sitting on atv.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
I was talking as if looking at the back rack,right side being the NON throttle side then, and BACK side being towards the back of the rear rack(AKA left rear tire then LOL)

if sitting on atv, his terminals are on right side, just there on the front side(facing handle bars) and should on back side , closer to rear rack

getting confusing here SHade LOL

but his battery looks wrong to me for the atv, as terminals are too far away being as they are ?

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
I was talking as if looking at the back rack,right side being the NON throttle side then, and BACK side being towards the back of the rear rack(AKA left rear tire then LOL)

if sitting on atv, his terminals are on right side, just there on the front side(facing handle bars) and should on back side , closer to rear rack

getting confusing here SHade LOL

but his battery looks wrong to me for the atv, as terminals are too far away being as they are ?
most ( most ), older Honda atvs have the terminals facing backwards towards the rear. soooo..pos would be on left rear, neg right rear. some newer models ?..no clue ?. have not had a chance to look at this '05 trx500fm set-up yet ?..lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.