Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
all motors need FRESH fuel
HOW long fuel lasts depends on many things, , first starting with what type of fuel is it?
ethanol or NON ethanol?
NON ethanol last longer in its basic form?

BOTH can last longer if its treated.
general rule of thumb I go by, is if its NON ethanol fuel, I give it 6 months before it can be IFFY or on its way out(fuel looses Octane as time goes by too)

ethanol fuel, can go BAD in weeks or less! Its JUNK if you ask me., ANY thing I have that sits often, I never use ethanol fuel in it, or NOT unless I treat it first!

Also, keep in mind JUST cause YOU have it say 3 weeks, DOESN"T mean its ONLY 3 weeks old, as you NEVER know how long it sat in tank at fuel station??

simple rule to maybe to go by, if your questioning it, REPLACE IT!, old fuel makes for running or NOT running problems,

drain tank, clean carb, and go new fuel!,
better safe than sorry no?

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
unless its been treated with fuel stabilizer ?, anything older than 6 months needs to be dumped, add fresh fuel. word from the wise, when ever your going to let anything sit for a few months ?, ALWAYS CUT THE FUEL OFF, AND DRAIN THE CARB WITH THE DRAIN SCREW !!, this leaves no way for fuel to gum up your carb/jets !.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I wish I'd known this! as I think my carbs gummed up
Well, the good news is that a gummed up carb is easy to fix! Just take it completely apart so there are no soft parts (no rubber parts) left in the carb and dunk all the hard parts in a can of Gunk carb cleaner for about 24 hours or so... or longer if its still ugly looking after a day in there... Then blow all the small passages/holes etc. out good with compressed air and reassemble the carb to factory specs and put it back on the machine.

While the carb is soaking you can flush out the fuel tank and hoses real good and replace the fuel filter on it. Should be good to go then...

If you need a FSM for your machine you can get a copy HERE. Come on back and let us know how its going...

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
..if you have ethanol gas I have seen it go bad in the carb in as little as a month , lucky for us we have many stations that still sell non-ethanol gas , I fill my bikes from 5 gallon cans , I always look for trash down at the bottom of the can before filling it , and add Stabil and Sea Foam to the can , and I find that when the temperature is hot 90 degrees and up , the ethanol fuel will go bad faster , that is terrible gas , if you don't plan to ride the bike for a while I think it is a good idea to turn the petcock off and drain the carb at the drain screw , some run the engine till it dyes but I think there is still some gas in the bottom of the carb if you do that -------- I think a lot of people with carb problems , clean the carb and not the tank and petcock and re-introduce the trash right back into the carb ------- I think a fuel filer is a good idea

1 - 9 of 9 Posts