Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a 1986 model thats in good shape aside from a few odds and ends. One thing is the rear brake handle is super sloppy, the cable sheathing hangs out of the brake adjuster on the handle bar, and the lever does not spring back. On the rear, the adjuster wing nuts are maxed out, and there is some sort of spring that seems to be smushed tight too. NO adjustment left. However, the part that the wing nuts are on IS springy and returns...so my issue is totally in the adjustment of the brake cables, but I am not sure what I need to correct it or how the adjusters work.

TO better illustrate my point:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-HONDA-FO...ash=item5d51b449f5:g:Ir8AAOSwGWNUXRK5&vxp=mtr

This spring shown here is what is compressed completely down with a nut on the back of the cable, and teh wingnuts are as 'IN" as far as they will go, and the brake lever adjuster on the handlebar is OUT as far as it will go and I can still easily pull the cable sheathing out of the lever with a handle 1/4" of play.

What needs to be adjusted or replaced here?

Any tips?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sounds to me like the cable was replaced by one that is too long or it's stretched beyond adjustment. I'd start with a new cable. Maybe check make sure it's routed correctly also but I don't believe it's possible to route it in a way that will give you that much slack.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I think the shoes are worn out and the previous owner maxxed out all the adjusters and then some. Replace the brake cam too. It is not expensive and is the trick for a good feel. The drums may be worn out of spec too. If so you will never be happy until you replace them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. Thanks for the insight. I think I'll go through the service manual and just start with the rear brakes and give it a good look over and repair as needed. Why would I need a new brake came? Its just a metal rod right? How does that need replacing?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frankly, based on the manual, it appears as though the adjuster arm is not even in the right position. Its nearly straight up and down. In my manual, the photo shows it to be more at a 45* angle pointing OUT toward the back of the quad. Maybe someone took it apart and just slapped it back on the splines in teh wrong position. I'll check the manual and see if I can properly set it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yeah it should be on an angle rearward for sure. Does your foot brake work correctly?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Got it mostly back together. Brake pad is well within spec as is the drum. I just had to move the brake lever back one more tooth, so it's not aligned with the mark on the brake cam. The issue is better but a lot of it is that the brake cable is sticky. Can you clean or lube them? I have it off but cannot find a way to remove it from the sheath without destroying it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yup there are clamps for clamping on the end of the cable that allow you to spray lube in. Search online or at a local ATV/Motorcycle dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey sorry this isn't an answer for your question but I don't know how to make my own thread,I have a 1988 Trx200sx I can't figure out how to get the seat off,I've looked for bolts but can't find the ones that are keeping the seat on

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may want to dig around on this site for an owner's manual. I found a manual and service manual....Both have been priceless.

As for my brake cable, I didn't get the tool but was able to gravity feed a ton of lube and the cable now works like new. The handles are adjusted and return as they should!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey sorry this isn't an answer for your question but I don't know how to make my own thread,I have a 1988 Trx200sx I can't figure out how to get the seat off,I've looked for bolts but can't find the ones that are keeping the seat on
There aren't bolts but rather a spring loaded lever on the left side of the seat as you're sitting on it.

Here's a pic showing what the lever looks like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts