Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can i find clutch tools for my 2003 Honda Recon TRX250TM without paying the dealer huge price?

PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Where can i find clutch tools for my 2003 Honda Recon TRX250TM without paying the dealer huge price?

PLEASE HELP!
Ebay is where I would start looking.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I agree with Submarine. I would try Ebay.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
what clutch tools to asking about ?..the one to pull the centrifugal clutch ?..or the clutch disk plates ?.if your talking about the centrifugal clutch..thier is a cheaper way to pull it..i like the threaded bolt way..i'm not sure what size it is..but i do know it's metric..just thread it in the clutch/crank hole..use a impact driver to drive it in..the centrifugal clutch will pop right off..if your asking about the clutch disk plate, most of them pop right off with some tapping with a hammer...use a rubber mallet if you got one..if not..just a reg hammer will do..just make sure to smack it all around the clutch..never try to keep hitting one side..sooner or later it will come off..if you ever have to pull the flywheel off..and i'm not sure about your bike..but..i know what works on the trx300's..if you got a spare trx250 axle laying around..the outter hub spline threads screw into the flywheel..and will pop it off.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I've never really needed a puller for the centrifugal clutch. I usually just pull on it and tap the side of it with a hammer to jar it, and it usually comes right off. Sometimes you have to pull real hard. You don't want to hit it real hard with a hammer, because you might damage something. Just hit it hard enough to give it a good jar. Remember, the centrifugal clutch has left hand threads. The nut will turn clockwise to loosen.

The other clutch, on the other hand, is a different story. It's not pressed on, but the inner piece will try to turn when you try to loosen the nut. It's hard to hold, because it's made out of soft aluminum and if you try to hold it with a screwdriver or pry bar, it will break. If you have an air impact wrench, you can usually hold it with your hand and remove the nut with the impact wrench. Once you get the nut off, the clutch will slide right off. You don't need a puller for this clutch. You can also put it back on with an impact wrench, while you hold the clutch. The repair manuals usually recommend that you don't put it back on with an impact wrench, but I've always used one and I've never had a problem yet.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
I've never really needed a puller for the centrifugal clutch. I usually just pull on it and tap the side of it with a hammer to jar it, and it usually comes right off. Sometimes you have to pull real hard. You don't want to hit it real hard with a hammer, because you might damage something. Just hit it hard enough to give it a good jar.

The other clutch, on the other hand, is a different story. It's not pressed on, but the inner piece will try to turn when you try to loosen the nut. It's hard to hold, because it's made out of soft aluminum and if you try to hold it with a screwdriver or pry bar, it will break. If you have an air impact wrench, you can usually hold it with your hand and remove the nut with the impact wrench. Once you get the nut off, the clutch will slide right off. You don't need a puller for this clutch. You can also put it back on with an impact wrench, while you hold the clutch. The repair manuals usually recommend that you don't put it back on with an impact wrench, but I've always used one and I've never had a problem yet.
yep..same here helmut..i've always used a air impact to remove and install these..never had any trouble with them...just remember to stake the inner nuts after you get them back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honda trx250tm Tools

what clutch tools to asking about ?..the one to pull the centrifugal clutch ?..or the clutch disk plates ?.if your talking about the centrifugal clutch..thier is a cheaper way to pull it..i like the threaded bolt way..i'm not sure what size it is..but i do know it's metric..just thread it in the clutch/crank hole..use a impact driver to drive it in..the centrifugal clutch will pop right off..if your asking about the clutch disk plate, most of them pop right off with some tapping with a hammer...use a rubber mallet if you got one..if not..just a reg hammer will do..just make sure to smack it all around the clutch..never try to keep hitting one side..sooner or later it will come off..if you ever have to pull the flywheel off..and i'm not sure about your bike..but..i know what works on the trx300's..if you got a spare trx250 axle laying around..the outter hub spline threads screw into the flywheel..and will pop it off.
I am trying to get the centrifugal clutch off. I couldnt get the clutch pack out from behind the centrifugal clutch. I need to do this so i can replace the fiber and metal clutch plates.

The "clutch holder" isnt anywhere to be found on ebay and its over $100 at the dealer and the clutch puller that threads into the centrifugal clutch is just as expensive.
I feel like im trapped sometimes into buying the "devils" tools!!

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
I am trying to get the centrifugal clutch off. I couldnt get the clutch pack out from behind the centrifugal clutch. I need to do this so i can replace the fiber and metal clutch plates.

The "clutch holder" isnt anywhere to be found on ebay and its over $100 at the dealer and the clutch puller that threads into the centrifugal clutch is just as expensive.
I feel like im trapped sometimes into buying the "devils" tools!!
just find the right size bolt for the centrifugal clutch..use a air impact to remove it..just remember to remove the staked nut off..lol...i wish i could remember what size the bolt to use is ..but i can't..lol..all i know is..it's metric..helmut could prob tell you what bolt to use..and if you don't have the bolt handy..just remove the staked nut..and whack the clutch a few good times with a hammer..it should come off.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
helmut could prob tell you what bolt to use.
No, sorry, I've never had to use the bolt method. I usually just jar them with a hammer and pull them off. I've never had any problems getting them off like that. I'm sure the bolt method works good, though. I remember seeing those threads you are talking about, but I don't have any ideal what size bolt it would take. You might be able to measure it with a metric tape measure or rule, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts