Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i decided today its time to change the timing chain in my 07 honda rubicon 500. i have never messed with the motors like these, mounted sideways and all.. i was wondering, how much of a pain is it to change the timing chain? i need to get it done before i break something.. i can hear it slapping a bit. not HORRIBLE but noticeable.what all has to come off to do it? does the motor have to come out of the frame?any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone? :(

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
wellllllllll...lol...depending on how well you are with atv motors ?..makes all the difference in the world if you can do it with the motor in the frame ?..or out of the frame ?. regardless..if it's your first time ?..i highly say leave the motor in the frame..and try replacing the cam chain with the motor in the frame !...it will make it easier on you in the long run. sooooooooooo..with that being said...first...drain your oil. now raise the atv off the floor..an atv floor jack comes in very handy for this !. once the atv is up..remove the front differental bolts..should be 3 if honda used the same bolt pattern on that model ??. once the bolts are out..pull the front differental forward...as far as you can pull it..then go to the left hand front side...and push the front drive shaft sleave off the output shaft from the front of the motor..then yank the drive shaft out from the front differental once you have it clear from the front of the motor's output shaft. now remove the front cover..if yours is elec shift ?..you will need to remove the elec shift motor..then you can remove the front cover bolts..then pull the front cover. by now..your considering pulling the motor..as you can see..you really don't have alot of room to work with ??..lol. still..its easier than you think. you will need a clutch puller tool..a air impact driver..with a 27mm socket to remove the clutch nut...if i remember..the change clutch nut is the same size ?. once these are out, you may need to pull the top end off ?..i say this..because once you pull the cam out to replace the cam chain ?...YOU WILL HEAR THOSE CAM FOLLOWERS DROP DOWN INTO THE ENGINE !!..LOL. sooooo..keep this in mind..if you bypass trying to leave the cam in the motor !. your better off pulling the top end off..jug and all...as you will need to do this anyway..in order to unbolt the cam chain slack adjuster..in order to remove the cam..and cam chain. sooo..tear the top end down..all the way to the lower engine..then pull the cam followers out...DO NOT LEAVE THESE IN WHEN YOU PULL THE CAM !!!..IF YOU DO ??..GET READY TO PULL THE MOTOR...TO SPLIT IT...BECAUSE THOSE FOLLOWERS WILL DROP DOWN INTO THE ENGINE...AND THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN GET THEM OUT..IS TO TRY TO FISH THEM OUT ?..ORRRRRRRR..SPLIT THE CASES !..LOL. sooooo..you got the top end off..slack adjuster off..now you can pull the cam..and cam chain out...as you can see..there is a index on both the cam sprocket...and engine case..should be on top of the cam sprocket stamped on the inside of the engine case ?...with your crank lined up on top dead center on the compression stroke..install the cam and cam chain..making sure your index's are lined up right !!!!. bolt the cam in..install the cam chain slack adjuster..new top end gasket for the cylinder/jug..install the cam followers..then base gasket..then cylinder/jug..then head gasket...please use all new gaskets !!!!..then push rods..then rocker box gasket..rockers..rocker box gasket..bolt it down, your now ready to put the front all back together...hope you have a service manual for this ??..as im sure you will stumble..and forget where all the parts go ??!!..lol. i may have left something out in all this ??..i'm sure it's the same as any other honda motor in thier new atv's ?!..lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol im familiar with atvs and all. just never messed with honda motors like these. sounds like alot of fun.. guess ill give it all a shot as soon as i have the money for the chain. gonne put new rings and valve seals while im in. she smokes a bit. i have another question, whats the worst case thing that could happen, if i dont change the chain? valve/ piston cake? broke pushrods?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shadetree forgot to mention that you have to remove the oil tank from thefront of the engine first.There's a drain plug on the bottom of the tank too.You don't have to loosen the front diff either.The front cover goes around the front driveshaft.I have one torn down right now changing the cam chain &the oil pump chain.While you have it apart, check the oil pump chain&sprocket.They have no tensioner on it&when they wear out, the chain will jump off&you will lose oil pressure to your transmission and have no drive.If your cam chain is worn out,there's a really good chance the other one is too.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot sully. that really makes me feel more confident about tearing into it

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
Shadetree forgot to mention that you have to remove the oil tank from thefront of the engine first.There's a drain plug on the bottom of the tank too.You don't have to loosen the front diff either.The front cover goes around the front driveshaft.I have one torn down right now changing the cam chain &the oil pump chain.While you have it apart, check the oil pump chain&sprocket.They have no tensioner on it&when they wear out, the chain will jump off&you will lose oil pressure to your transmission and have no drive.If your cam chain is worn out,there's a really good chance the other one is too.Hope this helps.
thanks for the input bro !..i have not had a chance to do one of these models ?..soooo..i do not know all the '' in's and out's '' of them ?..buttt..i'm sure one day i'll get some hands on work !..lol. thanks for the info for the OP !. :).

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
lol im familiar with atvs and all. just never messed with honda motors like these. sounds like alot of fun.. guess ill give it all a shot as soon as i have the money for the chain. gonne put new rings and valve seals while im in. she smokes a bit. i have another question, whats the worst case thing that could happen, if i dont change the chain? valve/ piston cake? broke pushrods?
yepppppppp..all of that ^^^^^..can happen !..lol.

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
thanks alot sully. that really makes me feel more confident about tearing into it
would you rather learn on your own ?..or pay honda to do it ?..hmmmm..let me think this one over !..lmfao.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shadetree forgot to mention that you have to remove the oil tank from thefront of the engine first.There'srain plug on the bottom of the tank too.You don't have to loosen the front diff either.The front cover goes around the front driveshaft.I have one torn down right now changing the cam chain &the oil pump chain.While you have it apart, check the oil pump chain&sprocket.They have no tensioner on it&when they wear out, the chain will jump off&you will lose oil pressure to your transmission and have no drive.If your cam chain is worn out,there's a really good chance the other one is too.Hope this helps.
Hey guys! I know this is an old post, but I'm working on an old quad. 2001 TRX500FA. I have the oil tank off and trying to get the front cover off to replace the timing chain and oil pump chain, but I don't know how to get to where I want without moving the front diff forward so I can move the propeller shaft out. Do I also need to remove/move the gearshift out? Got this quad for cheap cause they said it wouldn't start and finally diagnosed it down to the timing chain being off the sprocket (chain is really stretched from so many miles), so I'm just replacing chains and all the head gaskets while I have it all open. Engine looks to be in great shape otherwise. Thanks in advance!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts