Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a 2007 honda recon. It had been sitting for a few years so I replaced the carb on it. After I got the carb tuned up and ready to go I put the air cleaning housing back on. I went to crank it and it was running ok for about a minute. I went to cut the switch off and it stayed running. I yanked the battery out and it was still running and starting to get really hot. In a panic, I ripped out the spark plug and it finally died. Any idea what could have caused this? Honestly afraid to crank it up again until I figure what went wrong.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Carbs are mechanical and that’s an electrical issue so it would be helpful to learn basic operations of an engine before using it. When removing parts to access the carb you may have taken a ground off or it may have already been off. All engines use an ignition thst will run until the circuit is grounded.. thats what happens when you turn the key or flip the switch. Look around and grab the diagram for your model and inspect the circuit.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Removing the battery wouldn’t cut your ATV out, pulling the plug lead off however would do. One1 got the nail on the head, you have an electrical issue, possibly a simple one. You may find a quick spray in your ignition barrel and ‘off-run-off’ switch with WD40 or similar will do he trick. Use a multi meter to check your ignition barrel and kill switch.

On another note, was the new carb you purchased OEM or a $50 Chinese item? If the latter you may as well take it off now while your tinkering and replace with an OEM (new or used) as theChinese item simply wont last. A cheaper alternative would be to buy a rebuild kit for your original carb.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
if I were to guess ?, the reason it was set-up..was because of this not cutting off..lol. anywayyyyyyyyy...my money says the ignition switch is bad. it takes a ground to the spark plug coil to kill all spark to the spark plug, which is what the ignition switch does.

Reactions: XplicitRacing6

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
it takes a ground to the spark plug coil to kill all spark to the spark plug, which is what the ignition switch does
On all battery ignition systems (on this Recon its a DC-CDI) the ignition switch opens the primary circuit to shut the motor off. Its the other way around on magneto-powered (AC) ignitions, the IGN switch grounds the primary to kill the ignition. Just got it backwards is all... and we all make those mistakes... glad no one keeps score or I'd be a bench-warmer. LOL

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
it takes a ground to the spark plug coil to kill all spark to the spark plug, which is what the ignition switch does
On all battery ignition systems (on this Recon its a DC-CDI) the ignition switch opens the primary circuit to shut the motor off. Its the other way around on magneto-powered (AC) ignitions, the IGN switch grounds the primary to kill the ignition. Just got it backwards is all... and we all make those mistakes... glad no one keeps score or I'd be a bench-warmer. LOL
all I know is, the ignition switch kills the motor...lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts