Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Honda recon trx250 It runs and drives and won't shift. Clutch has new disks and has been adjusted correctly. Sometimes it will go into 1st and drive but if we attempt to shift it the wheels lock up. The shifter gets stuck right as it is about to shift gears. I have put lots of money into this quad and would hate to see it go. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
pull it back apart, and inspect all the clutches, and parts, something is not right with your work. make sure you have a service manual to go by !.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Not enough details here. Is it a TM or TE? Have you replaced the clutch due to catastrophic failure or just slipping? Clutch by itself won't stop you from shifting, just won't shift smoothly. You can still yank it into gear. Sounds like you have foreign material in your shifter assembly, hence why i asked if it exploded (or anything had) previously. The wheels locking up is related to something else however. You'd have to have foreign material directly in the transmission..... at the shifter as well, for it to do that. Can you roll the quad in neutral or 1st gear for a long distance forward and backward without it locking the wheels?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does TM or TE mean. Slipping for the clutch. In 1st you can roll it backwards freely and neutral acts as reverse where you can roll it freely forwards and not backwards

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
What does TM or TE mean. Slipping for the clutch. In 1st you can roll it backwards freely and neutral acts as reverse where you can roll it freely forwards and not backwards

tm= two wheel drive, manual shift, te= two wheel drive, electric shift. most all atvs rolls backwards while in gear or neutral ?, just wont roll forward while in gear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now the quad shifts to "neutral", reverse, and 1st. "Neutral" is technically reverse it just says neutral. Reverse works fine and so does 1st but if you try to go into 2nd or higher the wheels lock up when you shift.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Now the quad shifts to "neutral", reverse, and 1st. "Neutral" is technically reverse it just says neutral. Reverse works fine and so does 1st but if you try to go into 2nd or higher the wheels lock up when you shift.

tells me, you did not put the clutches back together right ?, or, your having problems with the shift drum and parts ?.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the transmission completely pulled and nothing looks broken or worn but when I shift past 1st the transmission locks up. No debris or fused gears I don't know what is going on. Shifter drum and shifting components all look fine. Please help

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I don't understand what you saying there... Can you explain with more details?

Do you have the cases split?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I don't understand what you saying there... Can you explain with more details?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The four wheeler shifts but locks up when you shift past 1st

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Yeah, we know that already, but there is a whole lot more that we need to know. It reads like there is no neutral... is that right?

It would help a lot if you would use a computer with a keyboard rather than a phone... one word answers waste time. We need you to write a novel if necessary. Explain everything. I gotta leave for the day... have fun.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts