Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just recently purchased a 2003 Honda Recon 250 EX. I love the machine, but the ride seems very stiff. It just isn't as "cushy" of a ride as my Polaris Trail Boss 330. I rode it on the trails for 45 minutes las weekend, and it felt like I was kidney-punched 100 times by a UFC fighter!

Is there a preload adjustment on the rear shock that can be turned to soften the ride somewhat? I saw nothing in the owner's manual.

In advance, I thank anyone with technical expertise for their advice.

George

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
There should be a little disk looking thing that adjusts preload.It should have 5 different settings.It's probably in the middle now but set it at the softest and you should be fine.Welcome to the forums.

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Im not sure about the shock adjustment on the UT models. There is a few on here that will be able to help you.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. There is probably an adjustment on the rear shock, but I'm not sure. But you will never get close to the ride of a Polaris. Polaris has a real good ride and Honda's are good ATVs, but they just don't have that good of a ride quality, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the fast reply. I will try to find the disk.

Besides the ride, the machine is awesome! It blows the doors off of my Trail Boss!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply. I will try to find the disk.

Besides the ride, the machine is awesome! It blows the doors off of my Trail Boss!
ive been watching videos and the 250 seems to have more peep than the 300 fourtrax.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I dont know about the newer ones but I have a 97 and there is no adjustment, but they are quick and fun to ride.
Yeah, I don't think the 2003 does either. According to this diagram, it don't.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Well maybe you could find a shock from a sport quad that fits and adjust it.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
But you may be able to swap out the shock for one that does.. like off a polaris. I think the shock on the 90 Trailboss 250 we have around would fit and its adjustable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts