Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s the ES. We replaced the shift motor on it because it started acting funky one day on a trail. Now it doesn’t shift up or down. Can’t get it into N to start it up. It tries to shift and will show the next gear but kicks back to whatever it was in before.

Even if I bust out the little foot peg shifter it does the same thing. Doesn’t want to go into any other gear than what it’s in already.
make sure you a have a fully charged battery

·
Registered
17 Posts
Turn the ignition switch ON while pushing both the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP shift
switches) simultaneously (Do not release the shift switches yet).
Wait a moment and check that the "N" blinks at the gear position indicator.

Release both the UP and DOWN shift switches immediately, then push and release the shift
switches in the order of UP, DOWN and UP (Do not hold onto the switch).
• Check the control motor operation sound (the control motor should function at this time to
adjust the angle sensor).
• A constant"--" indication is displayed on the gear position indicator.
Move the throttle lever from the fully closed position to the fully opened position, and then
move it to the fully closed position again immediately (within 10 seconds) after"--" is displayed on the gear position indicator.

When the throttle setting is complete, the indication on the gear position indicator changes from the continuous lighting of "--" to the continuous lighting of "N."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turn the ignition switch ON while pushing both the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP shift
switches) simultaneously (Do not release the shift switches yet).
Wait a moment and check that the "N" blinks at the gear position indicator.

Release both the UP and DOWN shift switches immediately, then push and release the shift
switches in the order of UP, DOWN and UP (Do not hold onto the switch).
• Check the control motor operation sound (the control motor should function at this time to
adjust the angle sensor).
• A constant"--" indication is displayed on the gear position indicator.
Move the throttle lever from the fully closed position to the fully opened position, and then
move it to the fully closed position again immediately (within 10 seconds) after"--" is displayed on the gear position indicator.

When the throttle setting is complete, the indication on the gear position indicator changes from the continuous lighting of "--" to the continuous lighting of "N."
Yeah that doesn’t do anything for me. I just tried. It’s currently sitting in 2nd gear and won’t shift out of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah that doesn’t do anything for me. I just tried. It’s currently sitting in 2nd gear and won’t shift out of it.
should be the tool under the seat or in the trunk to manually put it in neutral try in to do the re learn in neutral I know it sounds stuppid but check the fuses under the seat make sure its getting power up to the switch if no luck I would start buy checking conections and if all good new angale sensor I have done alot of them

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
should be the tool under the seat or in the trunk to manually put it in neutral try in to do the re learn in neutral I know it sounds stuppid but check the fuses under the seat make sure its getting power up to the switch if no luck I would start buy checking conections and if all good new angale sensor I have done alot of them
Yeah, the little peg to manually change gears has same symptoms. No matter how hard you jam it and rock the 4 wheeler it won’t change gears. It’ll rarely pop into the next gear if you’re lucky but otherwise it won’t. And I mean really rocking it like there’s no tomorrow.

Only thing that happened when this all started. Was I followed our group of quads and we all crossed a river and it was up over the foot rest area but I kept it pretty much wide open and floated it across fine. Then all this hell slowly happening with it.

Hell we have a 2022 foreman that literally sunk in a river and got filled with water and literally fired right up after a oil change and is still living fine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, the little peg to manually change gears has same symptoms. No matter how hard you jam it and rock the 4 wheeler it won’t change gears. It’ll rarely pop into the next gear if you’re lucky but otherwise it won’t. And I mean really rocking it like there’s no tomorrow.

Only thing that happened when this all started. Was I followed our group of quads and we all crossed a river and it was up over the foot rest area but I kept it pretty much wide open and floated it across fine. Then all this hell slowly happening with it.

Hell we have a 2022 foreman that literally sunk in a river and got filled with water and literally fired right up after a oil change and is still living fine
I also had in the early 2000s a couple Trx can’t remember the motor size that would not shift with the tool and it was a broken shift drum . I am sure with a quick google search we could find out what models that the shift drum would snap off . I probably did 4/5 of them when I was a Honda dealer and if that is your problem honda had a upgraded part to fix the problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts