Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new here. Having some serious troubles. I go to start my rancher and reverse is 1st gear, neutral is second and so on to where 3rd on the screen is actually 5th. It shifts up fine but won't downshift at all unless you turn it off and rock the bike back and fourth. And also does not have neutral the bike says it is when it's really second gear. Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Probably someting in the gear position switch. It is in the back of the motor. Have to pull the motor from the frame to get the back cover off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unless they changed it the gear position indicator is called an Angle Sensor and is on the outside and either failed or was installed wrong. These have failed before and you can easily replace by Googling it. Just look up your model and year and Angle Sensor and it will show how it's installed. Very easy. I did one myself in very little time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless they changed it the gear position indicator is called an Angle Sensor and is on the outside and either failed or was installed wrong. These have failed before and you can easily replace by Googling it. Just look up your model and year and Angle Sensor and it will show how it's installed. Very easy. I did one myself in very little time.
I looked up gear position sensor online and it's the one in the rear case that slides in the shift drum I believe. Its a shaft with handle bar (lack of better term) on the top

·
Registered
128 Posts
I looked up gear position sensor online and it's the one in the rear case that slides in the shift drum I believe. Its a shaft with handle bar (lack of better term) on the top
You are correct.
The gear position switch and angle sensor are two completely different things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts