Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt my carb, test ran and shifting was working fine. Then I pluged in my heater carb, put on fenders, and the following occurs:
When I would turn the key, instead of showing N, the gear indicator only showed 3 dashes. I played around and found that if I unhook the carb heater it displays N. But if I plug in the carb heater, it goes back to three dashes.
2. Both the red reverse and green neutral lights on the display are lit at the same time, and I can't get the reverse light to turn off.
3. The electric shift doesn't work at all. If I push the up and down shifter buttons, nothing happens.

Checked continuity and got it on all the wires from the shift gear connector per the manual test procedure.

Also will crank but no spark, I think the machine thinks its in reverse so it wont provide spark. also it shifts manually and gears numbers work including reverse but the reverse light NEVER goes off.

Can someone please give me some direction where to go from here?Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
888: Since things were working okay before the repair, and you had things (wiring) disconnected during the repair, I'd suspect that you didn't get things reconnected properly after completing the repair. Is it possible that you may have connected a connector to the wrong things upon reconnecting things? If so, that would goof things up (which is the symptom you are getting).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To rebuild the carb, I only had to disconnect the carb heater plug, no other electrical disconnects. Is it possible the reverse switch went bad at the same time I re plugged in the carb heater wire? Just seems improbable.....

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You could google start in gear mod and do that just to see. If it cranks you need to troubleshoot the reverse switch issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all for your help. Here was the outcome: After replacing the reverse switch, and no difference, I decided to double check the fuses, and that's when I found the blown fuse. I thought I had checked all the fuses. It seems when I plugged in the carb bowl heater, I blew the red 10 amp fuse. So I Replaced the fuse, reverse light went out. Then, it started and shifted, all gear lights numbers displayed correct.
BUT, after running high speads, the shifter stopped working, so had to shut off key, turn back on, to reset. After reset, Shifting working again until hitting high speeds, then same thing. Noticed the speed was not registering, so I replaces the speed sensor switch, located on the rear crank case left side. Now, it shifts perfectly in any gear and at any speed. Guys having shifting problems where speed is not displaying correctly, REPLACE your speed sensor! Love my Rancher again and ready for the snow Plowing!! Thanks again for all advice from others!

·
Registered
613 Posts
The same 10 amp fuse covers the ECU, ICM and carb heater so is the reason why you had the issue after the fuse blew. The ECM also gets power from the motor fuse while the display gets power from the main fuse. This would explain why some things worked and others did not. They also share a common ground which would be another place to check if the fuses were ok.

Hopefully someone researching an issue will find your post via google to save them some time

·
Registered
1 Posts
BINGO! I experienced the exact same issue after rebuilding the carburetor on my 2003 Rancher ES. Your post saved my sanity since I had taken extra time and care in making sure everything was right with the rebuild. The reverse light puzzled me so I knew something was wrong although never considered it might be a fuse. I also missed the burned fuse on my initial check but decided to check them one more time and was so glad I did. After I replaced the burned fuse she started right up and now purrs like a kitten. Now it's all good! Thanks for posting your experience - I can only hope it helps someone else too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your posts im haveing same trouble with reverse light and neutral light on at same time. Just put new carb on with carb heater checked fuses but may have missed one. All fuses had power

1 - 8 of 8 Posts