Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm just wondering about body plastics, and if it is better to paint them if they are really badly faded?
If so, does anyone know what the Honda paint recipe is?

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
264 Posts
My opinion is try the heat gun trick. It got a lot of the scratches out of our 2006 Recon. You just have to experiment with the right amount of heat for the right amount of time. You can get a heat gun pretty cheap from Harbor Freight.

Another option is a wrap. There are some cool ones out there that look nice when they're done. Just Google "atv wraps".

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wet sand and buff with compound will bring them to nearly new!
Look on youtube also. There are many videos about it. I would'nt recommend paint for the simple fact that even with flex additive, paint is not meant to flex as much as these plastics and it WILL crack. There are several other ways. As I said, wet sand and buff, heat gun/propane torch and also boiled linseed and paint thinner mixture.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I know to the heat gun option, wrapping (which would look cool in your own design) and using a polishing mop with T cut or Faraclea G3 or G10 cutting compound

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys, looks like there's a lot of sanding coming up ...
I wonder what my wife's doing ??? :)

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Thanks Guys, looks like there's a lot of sanding coming up ...
I wonder what my wife's doing ??? :)
Remember.... Once those fenders are sanded, there sanded for LIFE! I personally would try a cutting compound and polishing mop or even a vinyl wrap before sanding and painting. It's your call though, keep us posted and don't forget pictures, we like pictures here :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Sam,

No, I didn't mean sanding, in prep to paint.
The Youtube videos I have seen use very fine wet and dry paper to remove sun fading, then a oil type of coating..

Yes, I have discarded the painting option...
Will try your Buff & polish first..

Keith

1 - 10 of 10 Posts