Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1987 trx250x honda just did the rings and now it starts and idles but when i give it gas it dies whats happening please help

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
It sounds like its starving for gas. This can be caused by many different things, but as a general rule of thumb whenever an atv starts running rough or become hard to start it's a really good idea to start with cleaning the carburetor and blowing out all of the jets and passages to rule that out. Look closely at the main jet in this case.

Give the carb a thorough cleaning removing all jets and cleaning them. You should see sunlight through all jets or they aren't clean enough!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok and a another thing is the time the bolts on the vavle how loose is it suppose to be on tdc? are they suppose to touch the vavle tight or a little play?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Download your manual. Link in my signature.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
In your carb, there is a diaphram which is referred to as an 'acceleration pump'. When you give it more throttle, it momentarily gives your carbureator more gas - to help you get up to the speed you desire. Once it gets up to the speed/rpm you desire, that diaphram relaxes.

It sounds to me like that diaphram (accelleration pump) is not working correctly or is defective. If the carb has not been rebuilt (ever) since 1987 (25 years!!), then it's highly possible that a 'rebuild kit' (which will include the accelleration pump) will take care of the problem for you. You should be able to get a rebuild kit from your Honda dealer. Also, get some good carb cleaner (from an Auto Parts store) to really clean up any carbureator parts that you don't replace (such as the carbureator bowl and body.)

Note: That when you take your carb apart (so that you can put in the rebuild kit), you should take note of how many turns it takes to get each and every screw out with! That way, your settings and adjustments will be pretty darn close for you when you put in the new parts.

Jon: For setting your valves, you will need a 'feeler guage' (also available at an Auto Parts store). They must be set exactly, and you can get the exact measurements from the manual that My5Sons has provided for you above.

Bottom Line: It's time to give your engine a tune up!

·
Registered
67 Posts
May want to check to see if you have air bypassing the carb also. My brother in law has an arctic cat that all of a sudden started doing this. We eventually found out there was a crack in the tubing between the carb and intake where it had dry rotted.(it is a 99 model) We found it by accident with some ether. With the engine idling you could tell easily with a little shot around this tubing. The engine would race and then die back down.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Bflee: A bad 'accellerator pump/diaphram" allows air to flow through that diaphram, rather than pumping the extra shot of gas it needs. In the case of your friends' Arctic Cat, a carbureator rebuild kit would fix that problem as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hello everybody, i have a honda rancher 350 2 wheel drive 06 that has been sitting around for about a year. so i changed the gas and oil plus the oil fitter and the air filter and put in a new spark plug plus a new battery. after all that it still did not want to turn over so i pumped the choke a couple times hard and it stared. so then I was told the float was bad and need to be replaced so i did that and It fired up somewhat ha. It has been through some deep mud holes so i knew the carb needed to be cleaned so i took it off and cleaned it with some carb cleaner (spray can) then used a air compressor to blow it out. After that i started it up and it sounds okay. the problem i run into it that it will not idle and it wants to die when u down shift into low gears or just warming up wont idle unless choke all the way out. so after the first carb clean did not work i thought that maybe i did not clean it good enough? so i took it off again and let it soak in some b12 fuel and carb cleaner (liquid) and let it soak for about an hour or so and did the same thing blew it out with a air compressor. After letting the carb soak i put it back together and still no idle unless the choke is all the way out. before i replaced the float you had to ride it with the choke all the way out or it would die. also you cant shift into first without the choke out or it will die but u don't have to after u get going with the replaced float. so any thoughts on what it could be ? help please

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
ok and a another thing is the time the bolts on the vavle how loose is it suppose to be on tdc? are they suppose to touch the vavle tight or a little play?[/QUOT
at tdc they do have some up and down play just not extreme amounts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts