Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I bought a honda fourtrax last year. 300. The vin number was damaged during a winch installation, I got the beginning and end of it but not the middle numbers. The dealer said the quad is a 93 FW. The engine code is te15e. He said its also four wheel drive by that code. Problem is, its not four wheel drive. There is no shift or button for 4WD. The guy I bought it from said it was 2wd. The rear end is shot so I was gonna order parts and fix it. Anyone have any guidance on why everyone is saying its FW?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Suppose there's a possibility it's had a frame swap at some point in its life for whatever reason.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Those 300's are full-time four wheel drive. Easiest way to tell if it's four wheel drive. Look at the front end. If there is a front differential with a CV Shaft on each side it's 4x4. No CV Shafts no 4x4.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Plus one to what dabomb stated, on the lower left, just in front of the foot shift, if it's fwd you should see the transfercase, with a prop shaft connected the front pumpkin , a shield covers the front prop shaft.

Honda made two wheel and fwd model 300s from the pics looks to be a two wheel drive 300 (the rear rims) are a dead give away , IF there oem ? More pics would help us .

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
my manual is out in the garage , that partial engine code number might tell something , after diner if I remeber I'll go get it ---------take some more pics , of the front end and engine , also look under the seat on the frame tube for a sticker , also they had stickers on the front frame tube behind the bumper , this sticker would give the color code of the bike and TRX300FW ( 4x4 ) and A for 2wd and some will have a letter after the FW and that letter is the year , but not all have the letter

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
She's a two wheel drive, I'd like to have one.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
seems like I see the decal on the front tube , looks scratched up ----I feel a sleep after diner and didn't go to the shed for the manual last night , just went out and got it and yes TE15E is a 4x4 engine ,,, the TE14E would be 2wd , as far as giving you the year , you need to come up with more numbers behind the TE15E ------ someone may have converted the 4wd engine to a 2wd engine , one member here "Iforgot " did just that , I know because I have all the parts from the 4wd engine ----------- a pic of the left side the engine may help

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Yeah i noticed that scratched up sticker as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I was thinking it may have had a frame swap at some point in its life but I don't see any diff mounts lurking in that picture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts