Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1995 300 4x4 has a noise in motor, sounds like a loose timing chain but some people are telling me it's a knock. It's been smoking a small amount for awhile now. I was curious to see how hard it would be to fix it. If it is easy I'll keep it if not I'll sell it cheap. Any info? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
Knock on a 300 , I don't know if you read my thread on my 95 300 , 300 rebuild and modifications I think is the title , rebuilt the top end and got 35 hours on it and developed a knock ( I would relate this knock to the sound you hear when you over shoot an engine with starting fluid , more like a cluck , have you ever heard that knock ) , I thought for sure it was the connecting rod , upon disassembling it I found the new OEM timing chain had stretched out way past the adjusters max , I now think the knock I heard was caused by the engine being out of time , and when I say out of time I mean the cam shaft and the crank out of sync from the excessive slack , I can't tell you for sure the knock is gone even though I think it will be , new chain and cam sprocket are here but I am too tired again today to put it back together , I didn't change the cam sprocket when I re-done the top end and timing chain , I think that was the mistake as the old sprocket had wear and changed the pitch and it ate the new chain up ----------It really isn't that hard , you should have a manual , parts cost $500 to do the upper and timing chain , add another $40 for the cam sprocket , you would need a torque wrench and a valve spring tool for the valve stem seals and to lap the valves , a lap stcik and some valve grind paste and some Honda Bond , I used G+H for the boring and parts , for $220 you send them your jug and they send it back bored with a Shindy piston and rings sized to the jug , they give you a wrist pin and clip , head and jug gaskets , exhaust seal and valve stem seals , the timing chain is $99 OEM and the cam sprocket $40 , the rest of the money is on side cover gasket , kick starter seal , reverse lever seal , decompression seal , air filter , oil filter , and what ever else I missed ------ I will give you as much help as I can

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes since because when I first bought it I used a shit ton of starting fluid to get it running since it sat for two years, I guess I may have f***** up. Now the timing chain I know is making some noise also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Go easy with the starter fluid next time, it's nasty stuff if you over use.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
I don't know if you are old enough to remember the switch from leaded to unleaded gas , I can't remember the word , but it is something like pre-detonation , that is close to the sound I had going on and performance was severely affected , more of a clunk than a knock and more of a valve sound than a connecting rod , when you have the jug off be sure to check out the connecting rod ------ funny you brought up clutch slippage , I plan on throwing in two other clutches I have cause I have been thinking I was feeling some slippage also

1 - 6 of 6 Posts