Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my atv from these people who messed around with the wireing by the battery. So I'm trying to put everything back to the way It was. So I got a wireing dieigram and found were all the wires go. But my question is, the people who I bought the atv from said the solenoid was bad...so I bought a new one and put it on and made sure all the wireing was right. So the starter was working like it should for about 5 presses of the starter...then a little pop sound came from the battery area and it wouldn't start anymore.....so I took the solenoid off and by passed the solenoid and it started up fine so I figure the solenoid burned out again. What can I do to keep it from burning out cause the solenoids aren't cheap.? Could there be something else wrong?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
can anyone help me on this?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Are you sure it's burning the solenoid out? Did you check the fuses?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes i checked the two fuses by the battery...is there any other fuses?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
yes i checked the two fuses by the battery...is there any other fuses?
No, that's the only two. You must have a short or the wiring hooked up wrong.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there anyway to find the short. there is a solid pink wire and i cant find it on the wiring diagram... but i found were all the other wires hook to. could there be a positive and negative on the relay?? and the wire that comes off the relay is there a positive and negative on that to??

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
could there be a positive and negative on the relay?? and the wire that comes off the relay is there a positive and negative on that to??
There should be two small wires going to the relay, one yellow/red and one green/red. Yellow/red is the positive and green/red is the ground.

On the two posts on top of the relay, one wire goes straight to the starter and the other wire goes straight to the positive post of the battery. It doesn't matter if you get the two posts on top of the relay mixed up, it will work either way, since it's just a switch. Don't get the two small wires (yellow/red and green/red) mixed up, though.

You should have two small wires, a red wire and a pink wire, hooked to the same post on top of the relay as the positive battery cable is hooked to. The red wire is the main power wire running through a fuse to the key switch. The pink wire also runs through a fuse to the key switch and back out and powers the DC accessory plug.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so were does the solid pink wire hook to the (DC accessory) hook to?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
so were does the solid pink wire hook to the (DC accessory) hook to?
the dc accessory ( up by the handle bars ) has a pink wire..and a green wire..they go through the handle bars..and down into the black plastic box that covers all your main wire plugs..it's got a 10mm bolt holding it closed..and the only way to get to it..is too remove the front fender..which means..you have to remove the front rack..then fender..then you will see the black box with the 10mm bolt.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I bought my atv from these people who messed around with the wireing by the battery. So I'm trying to put everything back to the way It was. So I got a wireing dieigram and found were all the wires go. But my question is, the people who I bought the atv from said the solenoid was bad...so I bought a new one and put it on and made sure all the wireing was right. So the starter was working like it should for about 5 presses of the starter...then a little pop sound came from the battery area and it wouldn't start anymore.....so I took the solenoid off and by passed the solenoid and it started up fine so I figure the solenoid burned out again. What can I do to keep it from burning out cause the solenoids aren't cheap.? Could there be something else wrong?
the one thing that bothers me here...is how you bypassed the starter solenoid..and was able to press the start button to crank it up ?????..this is a relay..and in order for you to complete the circuit from the battery to the starter..this has to be inline..so when you press the start button..it triggers a magnetic force field inside the solenoid..and raises the metal contact inside the solenoid..here by connectiing the power source across the terminals..and lets the power go to the starter. sooooooo..i don't see how you removed the starter solenoid..and able to push the start button to crank it ????. if you don't have the solenoid in the circuit..your running power staight from your battery..straight to the starter..which would make the starter run all the time.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no wait.. the button doesn't work and the green light doesn't come on too. but when i bypass the solenoid the starter will work fine until i stop bypassing the solenoid. i have all the wires hooked up right now and a new solenoid. the only thing i don't have is the solid pink wire the comes out by the battery. so it must hook up with one of the other wires right? but idk witch one...

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
no wait.. the button doesn't work and the green light doesn't come on too. but when i bypass the solenoid the starter will work fine until i stop bypassing the solenoid. i have all the wires hooked up right now and a new solenoid. the only thing i don't have is the solid pink wire the comes out by the battery. so it must hook up with one of the other wires right? but idk witch one...
you may have to inlarge your screen to see the pink/white wire comming off the starter relay..but..it's fused as you can see..hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i got the wiring diagram in the repair manual. but i dont see where the soild pink wire goes. it stops at (option). so does it not hook to anything? it must hook some were cause it comes out by the battery...

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
i got the wiring diagram in the repair manual. but i dont see where the soild pink wire goes. it stops at (option). so does it not hook to anything? it must hook some were cause it comes out by the battery...
the only pink wire near or comming from the battery..ties into the starter slolenoid..then goes into a fuse holder ( white plastic fuse holder )..the owner b4 you may have taken it out..it goes into the starter solenoid..and branches out into a fuse holder...then goes into the wire harness back to the front of your bike..that leads to your ignition switch..this pink wire..most are pink/white..this is the only pink wire i know of that is anywhere near the battery.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ooooooooooooooo ok is that why theres a little hole on the side of the rubber part that protects the fuse. and it would be on in the positive side right?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
ooooooooooooooo ok is that why theres a little hole on the side of the rubber part that protects the fuse. and it would be on in the positive side right?
correct..that rubber boot ..is the outter fuse holder..after the fuse is inside the pastic fuse holder..it pushes inside the rubber boot..and this keeps the water out..well..it's suppose to anyway..lol...but yes..you are correct...the pink wire comes out of the starter solenoid..into the rubber boot..then through the fuse holder..then the other end of the rubber boot..then back into the wire harness...then back up to the ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, both the pink wire and the red wire, hook to one of the posts on top of the solenoid and then both wires run through a separate fuse and on to the key switch. They hook to the same post that the positive battery cable hooks to.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think were talking about the wrong thing, cause i know were the pink\white and red wires hook to. maybe im wrong or im just stupid but the pink wire im talking about comes out with the yellow\red and green\red wires. what i mean by comes out with is. it comes out of the wireing harness in the same place. and there no other places for it to. so maybe it dont hook anywhere....

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I think were talking about the wrong thing, cause i know were the pink\white and red wires hook to. maybe im wrong or im just stupid but the pink wire im talking about comes out with the yellow\red and green\red wires. what i mean by comes out with is. it comes out of the wireing harness in the same place. and there no other places for it to. so maybe it dont hook anywhere....
ok..i see the wire your speaking of now..sorry..i over looked in it my book..no..that wire does not connect to anything. it was for something optional on the bike..what..i don't know..but it doesn't connect to anything.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
i do see it's tied into the dc consent power outlet..and also the alarm unit..sooo..my guess it's for some kinda power supply for something optional.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.