Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 95 Honda fourtrax 300 and I was wondering what rear diffs I could swap out I keep braking diffs the last one I had broke completely in half

·
Registered
832 Posts
You would have to do fabrication for any swap but a 250 rear end would work and the old 350 rear ends work as well. The new 350 rear ends work too but you have to flip them upside down so you want to get the old ones (86-89 or 93 if you're in Canada)

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
all 300 rear differentials are the same, they will swap.

If you decide to modify, i swapped out my personal 300 with a fourtrax 350 rear end. easy enough to do, however, if you want working rear brakes, you will need to modify your brake cable perch to get them to reach the adjustment cam.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
1985-87 TRX250A
Mid 80's Big Red 250ES ATC (3 wheeler)
1986-1989 350 Foretrax/ 350D Foreman

Those diffs all bolt right up and are the correct gear ratio. You will have to have a complete rear end from one of those bikes to swap in.

The 350 Foreman rear ends require a $65 kit from Don Oglesby (look him up on Facebook) which gives you a rear center shock mount (bolts on) and a plate that has to be welded to the 350 axle tube so it can be bolted to the 300 swingarm.

The Big Red and 250 Fourtrax already have a center shock mount so you only need the weld-on plate to use those ($35 from Don) but you'll have to run spacers as the 250 rears are narrower than the 300 rears.

I prefer the 350 rear ends simply because of the width.

The 250SX rear is the same as the Big Red 250 rear except the gearing is a hair taller. No problems running it in a 2wd 300 but if you have a 4wd I would stick to the three options at the top of my post.

·
Super Moderator
38,075 Posts
you running very aggressive tires with huge lugs ?, I don't see rear differentials tearing up unless this is the case.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
The 300 diffs let water in if you ride in water much.

The diffs I listed had fully tubed rear ends so it does a much better job of keeping water out of the diff.

You get bearing support at the wheels too instead of just in the center.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts