Honda ATV Forum banner

Honda Foreman Rear End

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  fishfiles 
#1 ·
So I bought a nice to me 2002 Honda foreman 450 for $700. It runs and drives real nice but it needs some front and rear axle work.i know the left side differential bearing is bad because it is leaking fluid into to the axle cover and the axle has movement. I got the left side off but the brake side has kicked my butt. I torqued, used a cheater bar, and torched the axle nut, but still can’t get the nut off? Any suggestions? Also the differential fluid smelled horrendous. I already know I have to replace the whole brake system because it’s rusted shut. If I unbolt the right side bolts holding the axle cover on will the axle and brake come out as one piece? With how bad the differential smells would I be better off just doing a whole rear end replacement? Also would a 2004 rear end fit my 2003? I found a nice used one on eBay for $330.

#2 ·
yes , if you take the 4 bolts off the studs on back of the brake backing plate the axle and brake plate will come out together , IF , the splines of the axle are not frozen with rust to the ring gear ------- a strong impact is the best way to get the axle's castle headed nut off , or a cheater pipe on a ratchet

#3 ·
i've used a chisel and hammer to hammer the nut off a lot of times, more like a long punch with a sharp point on the flange nut part, hammer it back off, it works, just don't destroy the nut !..lol. yes, you can remove the 4 nuts, and pull the whole brake and all out the right side. from the sounds of it, your whole rear end needs rebuilding. yes, the 2004 should fit the 2003 model ?, just compare the parts numbers :).

#5 ·
yeppers, we had this talk the other day, its cheaper to just buy the whole thing, than piece it back together !..lol. this is the route I will take on this trx450fm project as soon as he gets me some cash !..lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.