Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Honda FOREMAN 450 Dash doesnt light up (just blank), NO electric start, But pull starts & runs good...The Light fuse 15A keeps blowing away !! It just happened after a heavy rain, but i also worked on the rear ceased brakes, replaced a new brake cable & now only pull starts. Has electric shift at the handle bar & they all work fine.I replaced the 15A light fuse & right after it went again. Machine has 10,000 kms, did the valves a month ago. Otherwise starts in 1 pull without even a choke. Any inputs appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shorting the solenoid starts the ATV, I swapped a good solenoid off of a 500, still had to be shorted to start the machine. So i blv problem is not the solenoid, may be something leading to the solenoid. Anyone have any thoughts.?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know what the circled part is...I cant seem to find any mention even on the service manual.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas Auto part

·
Registered
335 Posts
what does the spark plug look like?

would it continue to idle just fine and eventually die or idles fine, period, literally just dies when shifting into gear?
does it restart right away or you have to let it cool?

if it dies because something kills the spark. your spark plug coil connects to the CDI and ground.

clean all your frame and engine ground wires and check the plug, try replacing the plug, see what happens.

are the gears showing on all gears when shifting?
any flashing gears? is N flashing?

That connector you circled, leads to the fuse box. one wire goes to the battery terminal and one wire goes to the starter relay. the other connecor side leads to the fuse box.

remove the fuse box and inspect the under wires, something may be loose or dirty.

fine the diode by the fuse box, make sure it checks out ok.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The recitifier has gone bad. That is why your 15amp fuse is blowing. That fuse is for the accessories, kill switch, lights, and anything else that runs off the battery. The recitifier lowers the amp coming from the stator to charge the battery.
Also known as the votlage reg, if its bad, it will get really hot (in most cases) and youll only be able to restart it once it is cooled. Touch it while it's idling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The recitifier has gone bad. That is why your 15amp fuse is blowing. That fuse is for the accessories, kill switch, lights, and anything else that runs off the battery. The recitifier lowers the amp coming from the stator to charge the battery.
To check the rectifier what should i be looking for.....?
Valleywrenchin...Thanks will do the steps you mentioned about diggin under the fuse box as well :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what does the spark plug look like?

would it continue to idle just fine and eventually die or idles fine, period, literally just dies when shifting into gear?
does it restart right away or you have to let it cool?

if it dies because something kills the spark. your spark plug coil connects to the CDI and ground.

clean all your frame and engine ground wires and check the plug, try replacing the plug, see what happens.

are the gears showing on all gears when shifting?
any flashing gears? is N flashing?
When it starts it runs very Normal, never dies, idles normal, shifts all gears incl rev, dash is completely off SO no indication whatsoever. Will check for the wire ends for corrosion..unfortunately been raining lately.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found a great video posted 4 years ago..i have exactly the same problem, hope fully will see the underside of the connector tomorrow....watch 07.28s for the broken wire..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Found a great video posted 4 years ago..i have exactly the same problem, hope fully will see the underside of the connector tomorrow....watch 07.28s for the broken wire..
Were you able to reconnect the hot lead to the 5 pin connector? Kudos to you for using common sense (sadly not a common attribute these days) to troubleshoot your problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts