Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone fill me in with some information on what the older Honda Foreman 400s aren't seen that often? Do they have problems?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
Could anyone fill me in with some information on what the older Honda Foreman 400s aren't seen that often? Do they have problems?

I think you meant to write WHY and not What , I would guess production numbers have a lot to do with that , looks like they were built from 95 -2003 which is a long run , but maybe the numbers built were low , I see a lot of bikes and I have never seen one in person that I know about

·
Registered
324 Posts
When I bought my 300 new in 99, the 400 was also available. It was designed more for work, with less suspension travel. I chose the 300 because it was sportier, and a little more nimble. In the same token, if I had wanted more power and towing capacity, I would have move up to the 450.
I think that the 300 far outsold the 400, and you are seeing those results, now- there aren't nearly as many used ones for sale.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I have a 400, bought it new in 1998, been bullet proof almost, zero motor or trans issue's , BUT have had a rear axle seal leak water in and ruin the rear axle(a COMMON issue on most all honda's with solid rear axle, due to design, Left side only has ONE seal bearing, right side had 2 and thus weak side goes bad?? BUT in almost 2,000+ hrs, and NONE of them really EASY hrs on it, as I have used and abused it more than not, with the things I have asked it to do, an d its been great, I'd buy another one in a heart beat if honda made them again, heck I might buy two if they priced them the same as well LOL

as for top speed, its NOT fast its geared low, its made for work more than fun
I gather you could MAX it out in the upper 40's , but it would be screaming for mercy and I doubt doing that a LOT would be good for long life!
at 25 mph she is rev ing up a bunch, and goes higher in the rpms from there
if you want a good fast trail ATV, this AIN"T what you want

if it was well cared for,(not used as a boat, and basic PM's done as needed)
it should be a LONG lasting reliable atv
they sit LOW< and are smaller sized atv's than, the 450's and up honda's
and by a bunch!
, so for most guys there small in size, but that also makes them nimble and able to get into small places, lower center of gravity too!

I added a lift to mine in 1999, to get it to sit a little higher, I would think MOST at this point in time have also had this mod done

But there solid atv's, NO known issue's with them, MINUS the weak left side bearing, also found on 450's and 500's
Just a honda SRA thing! on axles with the tubes on them and two rear shocks it seems!

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Haven't seen any around here, but the guys I ride with were talking about what a tank their old 400 was. Said it was slow as molasses, but never hiccupped no matter what they put it through.

I'm picking up another 500 Foreman project today and the kid is throwing in a 400 bottom end. I'll have to see what I can put it in!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts