Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Honda Foutrax 300 2WD that runs great. It has developed a starter/electrical problem that I need some help. It would not start using the electric starter, and would only click each time the start button was pushed. I replace the battery and verified it was fully charged. I replaced starter solenoid. As I was completing the install of the new solenoid, I connected the last battery connection and the starter engaged all by itself. I hade put the wires back just like they were when I removed them. When I went to turn the key to OFF, the starter ran continuosly and moving the key back to ON the engine would run. The kill switch would not stop the motor or the starter either, so the only way to stop the starter was to disconnet a battery lead. I tryed this with the old solenoid same results. Thanks For your help

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
You have a wire crossed at the solenoid would be my first guess but you also can do a quick check....unplug the harness at the on/off, light and start button on the left handlebar side then hook-up your battery and see if it continues to start if not your start button is bad if it does move to the key switch... unplug it and plug the wires into themselves I think yours has a two wwire key switch, what you are doing is bypassing the key switch. if you hook up the batter and you got nothing your key switch is no good. No biggie just leave it bypassed and hit the start button it should start then. if you have tried all of this and you still get an engaged starter when you hook up the batter then you have a wire crossed at the solenoid more than likely the small ignition wire is on the hot side of the solenoid. good luck and Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the same thing on my 1994. I can guarantee you that you DO NOT have the battery and solenoid leads coconnected correctly. I did not mark mine before I disconnected everything and just thought that I would remember it right, WRONG.

Go back and re-check your solenoid and battery connections. With these symptoms you have misconnected something.
Also, check the starter gears to make sure that they are not "stuck" or frozen as this will also cause the click of the starter button.

·
Registered
347 Posts
kickstart. old fourtraxes starters aren't worth a crap. Fixed our dozens of times only for it to fail again. now we kickstart it and no more problems or money being wasted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
starter problem, what did you fime, mines doing the same thing

I have a 1998 Honda Foutrax 300 2WD that runs great. It has developed a starter/electrical problem that I need some help. It would not start using the electric starter, and would only click each time the start button was pushed. I replace the battery and verified it was fully charged. I replaced starter solenoid. As I was completing the install of the new solenoid, I connected the last battery connection and the starter engaged all by itself. I hade put the wires back just like they were when I removed them. When I went to turn the key to OFF, the starter ran continuosly and moving the key back to ON the engine would run. The kill switch would not stop the motor or the starter either, so the only way to stop the starter was to disconnet a battery lead. I tryed this with the old solenoid same results. Thanks For your help
starter problem, what did you fime, mines doing the same thing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts