Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy ATV Brothers and Sisters,
Bounty Hunter here, like to introduce myself and our little family of Honda ATVs. My wife and I have been long-time Honda fans, starting with ATCs a long while back. We still have and use the two ATC 200Ms we own, they are like goofy little tractors that are surprisingly capable. Got a ATC 185, and an ancient ATC 90 that is affectionately called "Gorky". Its an ugly little ATC that still runs. Hondas are tough and durable.
The pride and joy of our little fleet are my wife's 1996 Honda Foreman, named "Chief", and my 2002 Honda Rancher named "Rocinante". Those guys are as basic as a utility quad can get, with the kinda old-school cool flavor. Both are full time 4x4 and no frills, Chief runs the stock Goodyear tires like it came with, while Rocinante sports 25" Kenda Bear claws with the wide 12.5" out back. Great traction in the sandy, rocky, snowy mountains where we live.
We mounted Warn winches on both, and wired them up using 4 guage wire to increase their efficiency and power. Roci has a little black winch saver donut to protect the fairlead, while Chief has an old tennis ball...yeah, way old school.
Both have Harbor Freight Apache storage cases on the rear racks, full of survival gear, recovery gear, and essential tools. Each has a 1/2" x 20' kinetic recovery rope, 4' tree savers, soft shackles, ATV snatch blocks, steel screw clevis, and various ropes. Important stuff to get a stuck ATV un-stuck and home (like last Saturday, Chief had to pull Roci 2 miles home after her engine quit with a fuel problem). Kinetic recovery ropes are the cat's a$$, makes towing easy on everyone and everything. We also pack survival gear just in case of emergencies, first aid kit, snake bite extractor, space blankets, knives, saws, fire starters, etc...in case a trip into the woods turns into overnight stay in the woods.
We customized a utility trailer to transport them when necessary, which makes their deployment quick and easy. We added folding ramps to both ends, so that Chief can drive right up through the trailer into the pickup bed, then Roci drives into the trailer and the ramps fold back straight up for transportation. Really fast to load and unload. Also like the new ratcheting tie-downs available at Tractor Supply...they work like a tape measure, the hook spools out and you just attach to the quad and crank it up.
We heat out house with firewood in the winter, so wood gathering on our 21 acres is important, or looking on the adjacent Forest Service property (with wood permit). We have poly trailers for the ATVs to haul chainsaws and gear, and wood back to the trucks. Makes a chore fun when ya got fun ATVs to get you there and back!
We are glad we found this forum, and see there are so many others that share a passion and a lifestyle that involves Honda ATVs, its fun reading what others have done, the modifications they have made, and the problems they encounter and fix. Rocinante is due for some repair on her front axels, all four boots are shot...torn and separated. It kinda seems like replacing the axels as a unit might be easier than just the boots, as the CV joints seem pretty worn. I will probably break out the maintenance manual shortly and get read up on doing that...and a search on this forum to see if others have some tips on that procedure.
So thanks for reading this introduction,
Ride Safe out there,
Bounty Hunter

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hell of a first post.

I'd like links, if possible, to the kinetic recovery ropes and the poly trailers you use to haul wood. Both sound like something I need.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
ok...first off...Welcome!

second.. I think you win the award for most thorough introduction of all time on ANY web forum (grin)

in fact, most of us take at least 60 seperat threads/topics to cover what you have in your intro.

looks like I'll be learning a lot from your post (s)..some great ideas.

very easy going, fun group here...warm n welcoming..and I saw that as a newbie myself.

They have fun and bring humor to posts teasing about various brands..but there seems to be a strong love for the old school basic hondas like you own.

my first enounter 40 years back was a Kawasaki 3 wheeler.. I wanna say it was a 200?..it belonged to a friend...had fun chasing around on his farm...impressed with the power...it would be many many years later before I let an ATV get to the top of my list of things to spend money on....sampled some shiney new, larger frame machines...they now reside with some of my kids...and the only ATV that lives in my garage is my old 1993 Fourtrax 300...very basic machine..more than rough around the edges..but I like the smaller size, I like the raw feeling of riding (not driving) the older smaller bikes..and honestly, it's enough machine to do anything I want (or should)...so I'm completely with you on loving your older bikes.

again..welcome! Looking forward to more posts from you..

Ed

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
oh..and naming the machines...funny....I never named any of my cars or bikes etc..through all the years...it was "the Ford" or "the Buick", or "The Honda"..which became a problem when more than one Honda was living in the garage.

anyway..then along came grandkids..and you simply HAVE to name the toys...

the blue 300 in my avatar is named...well.. Blue..but not why you'd expect..in fact...you'd have to look closely but there are a couple decals on it from the Jurassic World movies...where "Blue" is the lead Raptor dino..fast, clever..so go figure, my boy bike is actually a She-cycle ....and her name is Blue.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
oh..and naming the machines...funny....I never named any of my cars or bikes etc..through all the years...it was "the Ford" or "the Buick", or "The Honda"..which became a problem when more than one Honda was living in the garage.

anyway..then along came grandkids..and you simply HAVE to name the toys...

the blue 300 in my avatar is named...well.. Blue..but not why you'd expect..in fact...you'd have to look closely but there are a couple decals on it from the Jurassic World movies...where "Blue" is the lead Raptor dino..fast, clever..so go figure, my boy bike is actually a She-cycle ....and her name is Blue.
Yep. I had to do the same. I have two identical 2009 Foremans. One was bought new, and my sister wrecked it, so it's known as "The wreck" even though I fixed it. The other one is known as "The good one" because it's basically only been used when I have company in to hunt, and still has low miles on it, haven't had to do ANY work to it other than change the fluids and air filter.

I have another 06 Foreman that's "The toy" (snorkeled, stretched, lifted) and my wife named her 420 "Sandy" since it's brown.

My kids haven't named theirs yet. One has a green 350 Rancher and the other a tan 300.

I also have an 05 Rubicon I picked up a few weeks ago that I guess will just be "The Rubi" since if I keep it it will be the only Rubicon.

Have two more 300 builds to do, and a couple of 350 Foremans. Will have to come up with names for those as I finish them, which won't be anytime soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, the naming thing is so funny...Kids usually have a hand in how stuff gets named. All our kids are grown up and left for greener pastures (except for one who moved to Las Vegas, there isn't much green about THAT place) but the origin of every name has some story behind it. Out two identical ATC 200Ms are named "Andy" and "Buzz"...Buzz came from the fact that when we bought him from an Citrus grower in Fillmore CA the throttle cable had been pulled out and stuck on the cap of the carb causing it to rev to the moon at idle...hence the "Buzz". Andy, well, we bought him from a guy named Andy...
"Gorky", the ATC 90, got his name from our daughter who was studying to be an LVN nurse at the time...the medical slang "Gorked" means someone really messed up...
We have names for the trucks too. My wifes 1979 GMC 4x4 shortbed pickup is named "Cinnamon Girl", like the Neil Young song...but actually more for her color which is a light brown with a hint of metalflake. Stock color for that year. She's actually a really looker of a truck, and has Godzilla engine under the hood...a 540 cubic inch Dart "Big M" block that turns almost 700 horsepower. You can usually hear her coming long before you see her.
My faithful old 1977 1-ton Chevy 4x4 utility truck is lifted, runs 36" 10-ply tires and has his own custom-built 468 cubic inch big block with a puller cam. He's crazy strong, and being carburated, funky at idle. His name is "Old Grumpy".
Lastly our ATVs, "Chief" came about from a cool Native American Indian decal my wife found and mounted on the front fender of her 1996 Foreman. A noble-looking tribal leader wearing a full Eagle feather headdress. The name stuck right away.
And Rocinante? has anyone seen "The Expanse" on the Sci-fi channel? Actually the name means "workhorse" I think. That certainly fits.
Would love to hear more stories about how your ATVs got their names, if they have one. Creativity, or lack of it, is great...its all good!
Ride Safe Brothers and Sisters,
Bounty Hunter

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I was wondering about the Roci origination for you...love that series...and yeah, that's the reference they gave the ship...but in fact...it hails back to ol crazy Don Quijot's faithful horse.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Its only recently, and after acquiring more than two rides that I've had to start naming my machines. At first I had a clean 2016 red Rubicon and a clean camo grizzly 700, so when speaking to the girlfriend, it was always either the honda or the camo. Now I have two rebuilds underway and talk about them, so they've been named; on a foreman 450s, I call it the 'Pink One', because partner doesn't know models, and the plastics are badly faded. The 300 is called 'Naked', partner walked in the shed one day and saw the 300 without any plastics on it and yelled 'ITS NAKED', so there's that.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Its only recently, and after acquiring more than two rides that I've had to start naming my machines. At first I had a clean 2016 red Rubicon and a clean camo grizzly 700, so when speaking to the girlfriend, it was always either the honda or the camo. Now I have two rebuilds underway and talk about them, so they've been named; on a foreman 450s, I call it the 'Pink One', because partner doesn't know models, and the plastics are badly faded. The 300 is called 'Naked', partner walked in the shed one day and saw the 300 without any plastics on it and yelled 'ITS NAKED', so there's that.
sooooo... if you tell the girlfriend you're going out to the garage to get naked.........(ROFL)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
bighanded
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing