Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a customer in this morning who has a ATC trailer that Honda sold back in the day with there trikes. Does anyone here have a picture of one? Kind of curious as to what they looked like. Does anyone know what they retailed for?

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
The only ones I vaguely remember from way back then were the same as a lawn/garden trailer except they had a Honda decal on them,and were painted Honda red instead of black...:icon_ devil:

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
This may be like it. This is from 1986.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a feeling that Helmut would come through. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
Cool,now I got a new paint scheme for my off road trailer...Bye bye black,hello Honda Fourtrax blues n white striped Honda red!! I spose it will be ok seeing as my trailer rolls on Honda wheels on 4/110mm hubs...

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Shmingley,

I saw your post about the Honda ATC trailer. I see this is older post andI dont know if you will get this or not. I just thought I would share the pics I have of Honda ATC trailers. They were in a lot of sales rochures back in the day. I also found on YouTub some old Honda ATC commercials that show this particular trailer also.
They were not actually Hnda trailers they were made by the Dico TrailerCompany in Canada. They were fiberglass with fenders and ATV tires.

I saw one years ago --not in person but online and really wanted to try and find one. I searched for years and unbelievably I actually found one !!

So here are some pics of the ads and my actual trailer I am restoring now.
VaBeachBigRed -- [Philip ]

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi Shmingley,

I saw your post about the Honda ATC trailer. I see this is older post andI dont know if you will get this or not. I just thought I would share the pics I have of Honda ATC trailers. They were in a lot of sales rochures back in the day. I also found on YouTub some old Honda ATC commercials that show this particular trailer also.
They were not actually Hnda trailers they were made by the Dico TrailerCompany in Canada. They were fiberglass with fenders and ATV tires.

I saw one years ago --not in person but online and really wanted to try and find one. I searched for years and unbelievably I actually found one !!

So here are some pics of the ads and my actual trailer I am restoring now.
VaBeachBigRed -- [Philip ]
Welcome, and thanks for sharing your project! I'm across the state from you, in the Shenandoah Valley.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would be interested to see the underside - axle and spindles - if you happen to be under this thing with a camera. Or maybe if it is flipped over. The size looks very convenient. Any idea what the load capacity is? How about the axle length? Looks like you could put some car doughnut wheels on that thing, probably not what you want for style, but a cheap and tall choice. And lastly, how did you ever find this thing? Was it like a "Honda trailer thingy 1986" search string on Craig's list?

·
Registered
19 Posts
More Dico ATC Trailer pics

Hi Menard,

Here are some more pics of trailer and axle. It is really simple design and I have decal [ actually guy I bought it from had decal reproduced ] and it shows weight limit at 800 pounds. The fiberglass is about 1/8 inch thick around the top and maybe a little thicker near the bottom so it is more for light duty than hauling rocks !!

I am going to layer fiberglass on the inside because it is rough fiberglass on inside and smooth fiberglass on the outside. That way it will be a little thicker and sturdier all over.

Of course I will paint it Honda Red to match my 86 250es Big Red.

The rims dont have lugs just the hole in the middle with bearings.
The guy gave me a set of Nice tires for it but i have to pull them off another set of rims and put them on the original wheels after I sandblast and paint them.

I was online and found a picture of this exact same trailer except it was yellow and had a Yamahauler decal on it and was behind a Yamaha 3 wheeler.

Dico made these trailers and I guess sold them to whoever. The trailer I have was found in the back of a Honda dealership in Kansas. The guy I got it from had an ATV parts business and would go to dealerships and buy up large lots of unsold NOS parts from dealers and he got this trailer along with a bunch of parts he bought.

Hope You like the pics !! Talk to Ya later -- Philip - VaBeachBigRed.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
ATC Trailer info

Hi Menard,
I forgot to put the measurements in. The axle is 42" wide with threads on the end for a nut. The tongue is 41" and the tub is about 26" wide and 34" long and about 18" deep. Fenders are about 10" wide.

I am not sure what tires were on it originally but the wheels are 8" rims and 11" wide. The tires I have for it are new take offs from what I don't know? But they are Goodyear Rawhide Terra-Tire and are 21 x 11 x 8.

I found this trailer on 3wheelerworld website. I was searching on there for the trailer and someone there put up a post of a craigslist post from Massachusetts with pictures of the trailer. I could not believe I actually found one and it was for sale !! So I called the guy and made a deal and he shipped it right to me.

I saw a lot of comments on it and lots of people were talking about getting it and making molds and producing copies. It probably would not be that hard to do. I will check on trying to do that if other people would be interested in having one of these trailers being they are Very Very rare !!

Take it easy and talk to Ya later -- VaBeachBigRed - [Philip Olah.]

Attachments

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Hi Menard,
I forgot to put the measurements in. The axle is 42" wide with threads on the end for a nut. The tongue is 41" and the tub is about 26" wide and 34" long and about 18" deep. Fenders are about 10" wide.

I am not sure what tires were on it originally but the wheels are 8" rims and 11" wide. The tires I have for it are new take offs from what I don't know? But they are Goodyear Rawhide Terra-Tire and are 21 x 11 x 8.

I found this trailer on 3wheelerworld website. I was searching on there for the trailer and someone there put up a post of a craigslist post from Massachusetts with pictures of the trailer. I could not believe I actually found one and it was for sale !! So I called the guy and made a deal and he shipped it right to me.

I saw a lot of comments on it and lots of people were talking about getting it and making molds and producing copies. It probably would not be that hard to do. I will check on trying to do that if other people would be interested in having one of these trailers being they are Very Very rare !!

Take it easy and talk to Ya later -- VaBeachBigRed - [Philip Olah.]
NOT to be a bubble buster
but if you MAKE new tubes and all, they wouldn;t be originals no more, so, that vintage OLD school collector like deal goes out the window
and there are a few dozen like type ATV trailers out there now if not more!

so, I don't know how feasible /costly it would be to try and find a place to MAKE you tubes to make more of these?

ON a cheaper side if you wish to make and sell some
Maybe look at some HD 55 gallon plastic 55 gallon drums and cut them down the middle in half like, and get two tubs out of one drum?
add an axle and tongue and you kinda have a trailer right there LOL
some of the drums we had at work were SUPER tuff think HD plastic, and we scrapped them all the time(use to play smash n derby with fork lifts on them LOL) so, know some take a beating and keep on going!

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Wish I lived in the States, I could see me making a few replica's of these. Seems to be a bit of interest.

·
Registered
170 Posts
One more question...

That looks like 1 1/4" square tube, 1/8" thickness, judging by the 2x4's on your porch (3 1/2" wide probably). Could you confirm this? The size of the square tube, not the boards on your porch... ) And what ball size is that? Looks like 2" if those are 3/8" spacers holding it onto the square tube, but I am curious what the engineers decided for an 800# load.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Menard,
I measured it and took more pics when I got home from work this morning [ I work 7pm to 7am ] and it is actually 1-1/2 inch square tube 1/8 thick wall. the coupler is a 1-7/8 inch ball and the spacers are about 1/4 inch.
I dont know why they decided on 800 lbs limit I dont think I would put 800 lbs in there !! The frame may actually hold up but I would not want to chance cracking the fiberglass. I am going to makea steel plate to match the bottom and put it between frame and tub just to make it sturdier. Also will put some of that 3/4 rubber foam that looks like diamond plating inside the bottom so when I do use it that will protect the inside. I plan on using it but not beating it all up !!
Here are a few more pics.
Talk to Ya later --VaBeachBigRed ---[ Philip ]

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks again for the details. I wouldn't pull 800 pounds in that trailer either - maybe 300 on an open trail, but it is nice to see what the engineer was thinking, rather than doing some trial-and-error.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts