Honda ATV Forum banner

honda and the handi cap!

9K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  LedFTed 
#1 ·
I just seen this and thought I would post since i know over the yrs there has been some topic's on getting atv's or SXS's for those with disabilities, and it seems now honda is working with having hand controls and such as options on some models

here is a link to some info, maybe can help some one down the road

#2 ·
this post could get buried, if its not a sticky..

#4 ·
i think the title should be changed. i got my own problems, had 2 major strokes, fell on some porch steps, fractured a lower disk. i still get around good, though some honda models, i have trouble shifting, because the pedal, its to hard for my left foot to pull up on. that was a leftover from the strokes. the sciatica, just keeps me indoors more than i want. the stroke explains my sentence structure, an spelling.. So What, Shit happens..im not looking for any empathy, of sympathy.
what i think the title should say, is the question..
1st. honda with handicapped. 2nd. handicapped riding hondas. 3rd. handicapped riding honda ideals. 4th. well i aint got this far as yet.., im still looking forward to a rocker foot shift.. toe down shift up, heel down, shift down.. //ed

#6 ·
If we're talking about changing the title.... Get rid of the word "handicapped" altogether. Use terms like "people with a disability" or "person with Spinal Cord Injury" or "person with mobility needs".

I've been living with a serious spinal cord injury since 2002. Also a former motocross racer like the guy in the article.

I actually find it quite humorous this even made it as a magazine article. Anyone who is living with a spinal cord injury knows these types of modifications for a sxs are standard issue (just need to do some custom fitting in each one) and there is nothing special about what they have done here. They took a sxs and installed hand controls made by a company that has been making them this way for decades.

Now what would REALLY be newsworthy is if Honda were to make this a factory installed option and at a reasonable or grant-funded. But I didn't see anything in the article about that.

#5 ·
Really cool to see this technology becoming more available. I have an injury similar to Blake's, and it seems to me that most adaptive equipment for riding is a custom job. An off-the-shelf bolt-on solution, or better yet having the equipment installed at the factory, would make life a whole lot easier.

#8 ·
well feel free to change the title, I meant no disrespect with words I used, if they caused anyone any!
I just figured it would get attention as is, and not in a negative way at all!
there is no disrespect. i must have been hearing to much politically correct speech.
as you can tell from the way i write, sometimes :) i can be quite mentally challenged. even the spellcheck, don't help..
i ment to throw some other terms in the mix. that is all. "Disabled Honda Riders", for instance or "Handicapped with Honda".. just looking for suggestions. besides,
"when Budweiser walks, bs talks":D
i cant use a manual shift, its not there in the left foot, but a rocker shift is, toe/heel shift... this should be a grand forum, for all, handicapped, or not, bring innovation..
its a grand ideal..

#13 ·
more awareness needs to be made, of those that are disabled. and the price gouging, thats nuts, needs to be stopped...
i needed a foot, for my cane. the old rubber one wore out. the VA couldnt get me one. it wasnt in the vendors contract. the VA could get me a new cane. i went to Wally world, got two cane tips for $2.oo.. ya cant make this stuff up.. the gov. has plenty of money to spend. the peoples.
Opps, not the political forum.
"Adaptive Control For Disabled" just throwing a line.
i want to make it catchy..

#14 · (Edited)
more awareness needs to be made, of those that are disabled. and the price gouging, thats nuts, needs to be stopped...
i needed a foot, for my cane. the old rubber one wore out. the VA couldnt get me one. it wasnt in the vendors contract. the VA could get me a new cane. i went to Wally world, got two cane tips for $2.oo.. ya cant make this stuff up.. the gov. has plenty of money to spend. the peoples.
Opps, not the political forum.
"Adaptive Control For Disabled" just throwing a line.
i want to make it catchy..
it is sad how difficult logic is to find in many medical dept's and like area's of life

#15 ·
i can only add to the fact^^^^.. the VA runs slow, with healthcare. the Gov. exerts so much control, that some doctor's will delay treatment, to gain from it. .i.e, if you got a heavy patient load, perhaps you are more valuable, then a quick, overturn, as healed patients. plus you might save some money, for the gov, by not doing the tests, that will solve the problem.. the VA patient involved, stays in the system, slowing the care for other VA patients..
somehow, this is a money making racket. i cant prove it, but feel it is so..

Reactions: mrbb
#16 ·
That is really great, love seeing people helping people. My wife teaches therapeutic horseback riding lessons for people with special needs. I would love to have a hand control vehicle on the farm that I could let some people drive around.

#18 ·
adaptive controls ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.