Honda ATV Forum banner

honda 88 fourtrax 300 starter

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Helmut 
#1 ·
Can i test the starter without removing it from the machine ?Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this unit that they could e-mail me ?? Tks

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums. To test the starter, get a set of jumper cables and hook one end to a known good battery. Hook the ground on the other end to the starter casing or the engine. Touch the hot to the starter post. The starter should turn, if it doesn't, it's bad.

#3 ·
agreed ^^^^^^..a safer way to do it..hook the pos terminal up to the starter post..then neg on the end of the starter casing like helmut said..then hook the other post one at a time to a good battery..don't hold it there long..i can burn it up if you run it very long.

#5 ·
Yeah, the starter wire goes to one post on the starter solenoid. To test the solenoid, jump the two posts on the solenoid with an old screwdriver. If the starter turns, the solenoid is bad.

#7 ·
Yeah, make sure the battery is good before you do any of the tests or the tests won't be accurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.