Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to put an 09 crank on a 16 Honda 420? Im having trouble putting the back cover on. It doesn't go all the way down. I used an 09 crank case with crank and flywheel and tried to put the 16 back cover on.
I'm about to switch the flywheel and see if that helps but I wonder if the crank itself is different.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Go online and check the part #. It also may have been change to a better part not necessarily and different part. My understanding that the only difference is the addition of an O2 sensor and perhaps software differences to accommodate..

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
are the part numbers the same ??..if not ?, then that would explain why you might be having trouble ?.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The part numbers are different but that doesn't mean anything because they also change the part number when they change vendors even if the part is identical.

I changed the fly wheel because the electronics are totally different and so is the flywheel and the back cover now has a bearing in it which has room but still won't go all the way down.

It would seem the 09 crank may be a touch wider but all the spacing for gears line up like it should. I guess ill put the crank in the 16 case half now and see if that works although the case halves look identical too.
Really scratching my head on this one. But if the crank doesn't work in the 16 case half then at least I'll be certain it's the crank before I spend 250 lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
The part numbers are different but that doesn't mean anything because they also change the part number when they change vendors even if the part is identical.

I changed the fly wheel because the electronics are totally different and so is the flywheel and the back cover now has a bearing in it which has room but still won't go all the way down.

It would seem the 09 crank may be a touch wider but all the spacing for gears line up like it should. I guess ill put the crank in the 16 case half now and see if that works although the case halves look identical too.
Really scratching my head on this one. But if the crank doesn't work in the 16 case half then at least I'll be certain it's the crank before I spend 250 lol
ehhhh...Honda parts don't have venders they sell too ?, if it's oem..then its a Honda part number, now..if your speaking aftermarket ?, then yes, part numbers can change.

Reactions: misterclean59

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
in your pics, I can see the flywheel is high ^^ ?, and I also see the gear position switch does not look like its straight with the index on the case ?, this might keep the cases from going down, been there..lol.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
I'm not sure about the 2014-up cranks.

I have rebuild a 2007 420 using a 2012 crank. Was exactly the same, but the 2012-2013 420FM crank was $100 cheaper. They DID have different part numbers.

07-11 crank $387

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/13000-HP5-600?ref=2b70254539540cf32405864092c87eded2504946

12-13 crank $302

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/13000-HR0-F00?ref=d07943170b5832d8f07dc4374704375aa18d08e8

14-up crank $265

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/13000-HR3-A40?ref=6819c69f4fd65c436d0bab4804a7596be9ac9a35

Crankcases are same from 2012-up, so I don't see that being an issue (since 2012 crank would fit earlier 420's)

I do remember that the flywheels changed. A guy over on HL rebuilt a 2012-2013 500 Foreman motor using 420 bottom end, and he had issues with the flywheels interchanging.

420 bottom end swap on foreman 500 | High Lifter Forums

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah shade they don't cast their own cranks but they do some machine work em they change part numbers when they change who they buy em from.... and I'd already check that position sensor cause I knew you'd ask lmao!

I got the 09 crank in and it fits the 16 perfectly. I had to change the case half back to the 16 tho so the crank itself fits but will not work using the 09 case half. You can only use the crank. I circled two holes that now have bearings in them on that 16 case half .... but it uses the same shift drum and trannie so I thought I'd try it lol.... but the 09 case half doesn't work.

Thanks Jeep for the input

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Yeah shade they don't cast their own cranks but they do some machine work em they change part numbers when they change who they buy em from.... and I'd already check that position sensor cause I knew you'd ask lmao!

I got the 09 crank in and it fits the 16 perfectly. I had to change the case half back to the 16 tho so the crank itself fits but will not work using the 09 case half. You can only use the crank. I circled two holes that now have bearings in them on that 16 case half .... but it uses the same shift drum and trannie so I thought I'd try it lol.... but the 09 case half doesn't work.

looking at those two crank case pics...yep..now you know why Honda uses different part numbers !!..lol.

Reactions: Carolynskiii

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts

So the 16 rear cover wouldn't match up to the 09 crankcase 1/2? Good to know....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts