Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a Honda 420, 2013 that has a miserable time starting once it drops past -22c. Basically put a dryer vent onto my trucks exhaust and warm it up that way until it starts.

I’ve installed a inline coolant heater (it gets very hot to the touch), a oil pan heater pad (on the oil pan), installed a new spark plug, battery maintained as needed (battery is good) and use fuelline anti freeze in the fuel. Not much else I can do.

Is this typical for a EFI quad to require this much TLC for cold starts? My older 500 2011 without EFI (prime and choke) turns over relativity easy in comparison even at -30c

Lot of people have told me that they have no problem starting their atv in -30c and it’s fuel injection but I usually call **** but maybe I’m wrong. Am I dealing with some other type of mechanical issue here that could be fixed?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Basically when starting the 420 in -22c and below it makes the starting sound for 1-4 seconds and then usually makes a tick tick tick and I stop trying to start give in 5-10 seconds and try again. Or alternatively does absolutely nothing when pressing the starter (means battery is too low I think, usually have the maintainer on it in those temperatures during the starting process so I let it charge up the battery for a while)

After the vent has been on it for a while and I try starting it the same thing as above if it’s too cold or there will be a bit of shake, and sounds like the engine is trying to turn over. At that point it will usually fire up shortly thereafter if it doesn’t fire up immediately.

Found that using the pull start in between starter button attempts seems to help.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Your battery isn't any good if it fades that quickly... its been cycled too low (dead) and lost its capacity. You'll need a replacement.

You can take the new battery out and bring the battery indoors and put it on a maintainer while you aren't using the Rancher during the winter months. When you need to use the machine it is only a 5 minute job reinstalling the battery. You can add years of useful life to any battery doing that.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Even though you have anti-gel in the fuel, I would when convenient change out the fuel completely and use as high octane/non ethanol fuel with SeaFoam or like. Also, I would change the oil to some very thin and wet clutch approved

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: What oil are you using ? --- Try using Amsoil synthetic 0w - 40 (4 - stroke) -- works for me starting in minus weather.

Reactions: SamUK

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery will last 5-10 minutes of trying to start but does the tick tick tick sound after 5-10 seconds when using the starter. I use the quads almost every day summer and winter. (Surveyor)

I am using a light weight oil (changed it for the winter) don’t remember if it’s synthetic

How do EFI Atvs start in the cold?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
The battery will last 5-10 minutes of trying to start but does the tick tick tick sound after 5-10 seconds when using the starter. I use the quads almost every day summer and winter. (Surveyor)

I am using a light weight oil (changed it for the winter) don’t remember if it’s synthetic

How do EFI Atvs start in the cold?
HI: Few things never touch the throttle when trying to start --- valves maybe to tight -- IACV may be dirty

·
Registered
223 Posts
Definitely go to synthetic oils the amzoil recommended is a great oil, I would drain fuel as others have stated and if the battery is more than 2 years old get a new quaility battery. Fuel filter should be changed and if you still have issues I would be looking at fuel pressure or injector. A couple weeks ago I found out that below -20 I was getting no fuel mine ended up being the fuel relay, which I quickly learnt by using a heat gun to warm it and then I had fuel. Must have some water in it I'll have to change it soon lol. Your Honda will start! Just some suggestions hope one helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just drain the fuel completely? Then what? I’m probably missing something really simple.

Planning to get the battery load tested soon as I get off shift. It’s 5 years old

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
So I just drain the fuel completely? Then what? I’m probably missing something really simple. Planning to get the battery load tested soon as I get off shift. It’s 5 years old
If you have all the fuel out try and get non-ethanol fuel for the ATV. Also, I would add Seafoam to the fuel
or another high quality supplement. As for starting, see this video and I suspect you are fighting a couple of challenges, https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/281786-07-rincon-680-efi-problems-starting.htmlmay be primary issue.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I work at a Honda powersports dealership... and we pull all of the ATVs and SxS outside during the day.. and pull them all in in the evening. So back in Dec/Jan we had several -15 degree days... and after the machines had sat outside from 10am-6pm we would go out and start them and let them run for a bit and warm up and then pull them inside. We would have several that would not want to start. We would have to crank them for 7-10 sec.. stop... then crank again for 7-10 sec... and repeat if needed... Fuel treatment has helped a lot!!! I think pulling them in and out causes some condensation in the gas and w/ the ethanol... in the really cold weather the fuel freezes.. And batteries get weak in the colder weather... and we would have to charge them occasionally. Also the plugs would get fouled from time to time... Many that would not start in the evening.. we would push inside into the heated showroom.. and the next morning they would start right up no problem.

Many times they were hard to push inside because the oil in the diffs would solidify and not want the diffs to turn... so I believe that 0w-20, 5w-20, or 5w-30 synthetic oils would definitely help also.. allowing the engine to crank easier...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just had the battery load tested, came in at 80%. Would replacing this make any real difference? The dealer seemed to think it would not but they suggested that if I do, to go with a heavy duty one that has more cranking power as my 420 just has the stock battery

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
In your extreme cold environment I would use the highest capacity battery in the bike that I could fit in it. And 80% capacity (at room temp? Test it at -10c and watch that percentage fall off the table...) left in the stock battery might be fine during summer months, but during -22c (and lower) winter temps... no way.

·
Registered
222 Posts
80% but not in -22 degree environment.
If it's a stock battery I would absolutely replace it as it is the "wet" type battery.
I would get an AGM type battery which are more reliable for CCA (cold cranking amps) under stress.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts