Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I put a new headlight switch on mine which includes the starter button, high/lo beams, and kill switch. I went splashing around in some water earlier so am not sure if that did it or what? I don't see why it would, aren't these things made to splash through puddles? Now it wont start or anything, turn the key on, lights don't come on, and the starter switch wont do a thing. What the heck is wrong? Really starting to think this thing is determined to nickel and dime me to death...It's a 2002 400EX if that helps, thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I rode it all day and then parked it for a few hours, idk why it would be dead. The neutral light still comes on when I turn the key on so it must have a charge.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Remove and clean all connections is the easiest start.. I'm not familiar with electronics and wiring, so I'm not gonna be much help beyond that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
And do you have the previous switch, in working order or is it completely trashed? If it works, try it again to make sure something beyond the cluster isn't causing the problem. My only other guess would be a bad part.

I'm sure somebody here will be able to tell you how to bypass the cluster to start by using the wires, as well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If your nuetral light comes on thats a good thing try bump starting it with the key on the switch must be doing that if not the switch move to solenoid connections or it going bad

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your nuetral light comes on thats a good thing try bump starting it with the key on the switch must be doing that if not the switch move to solenoid connections or it going bad
Where are the solenoid connections at? Are those the 2 wires that are connected to the black box thing on the handlebars?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The solenoid is the "switch" between battery and the Starter it is located Adjacent to the battery. The positive cable from the battery attaches to the solenoid and then another wire of similar size goes to the starter. It is controlled by a much smaller wire that comes from the start button. There is also a ground wire of similar size to the start button wire.

If you use a screw driver and make a connection between the 2 large batteries and the atv starts then the solenoid may be bad. If you have a Electrical Meter you can also check the smaller wires and they should have 12V when you push the start button. If not then you have other issues.

This is the solenoid.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I would say the clutch switch is bad. . . . very easy to check. . . up on the clutch perch you will see 2 wires running into the bottom of the clutch with a small pair or needle nose unplg them and take a short jumper and connect them together and give that a try

1 - 11 of 11 Posts