Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know alot of you have 400ex's and i would like an honest review about them, seeing as i am going to get one,i orginally was going to get a 03 ltz400 but after finding out they had frame issues cam chain issues etc... i cant be bothered with that, i need something that is completely 100 precent reliable, and still makes some decent power, i found a 01 honda 400ex that looks as it is brand new when i checked it out and i think i want to get this one, any particular things with the 01 400ex, also how much of a power difference will i feel between a 300ex and a 400ex?

·
Registered
447 Posts
99-2013 i believe are the same mechanically. In 2005 reverse was added and different plastics. Swing arm bearings and carrier bearings need attention and can sometimes be a pain to remove. Some 400exs have a problem with the cam chain tensioner sticking but doesnt happen often. Very reliable machine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
400exs have the reliability of a 300ex and the power of a 450r (low end wise at least)

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 02 400ex keeps up with a 07 450r if that's what you're asking in the power department

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've had a 300EX and still have a 400EX. I can tell you difference in power is night and day. Loads more power from the 400EX. A 400EX can get you hurt real fast if you don't respect it........it will bite. As far as reliabilty....mine has never let me down or left me stranded. All they need is clean oil, clean air filter and a plug every once in a blue moon and a rider.....they're that reliable.
I'm selling mine right now because I bought a Rancher. If I wasn't trying to teach my girls to trail ride on their own machines I would definately keep it. I have just changed my priorities otherwise I would still ride it. Get a 400EX and you won't regret it. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright great because i was sure i wanted it but the 03 ltz came up and just wanted to make sure i wont be kicking my self getting a 400ex over it

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nah man....the 400EX is by far in my opinion one of the best quads Honda ever built and one of if not the best trail quads ever from any manufacturer. Look, here it is 14yrs later and Honda is still building and selling them. To me that really speaks volumes about how successful it is. If they weren't top notch Honda would have scrapped the design long ago as Honda usually does not produce crap. Get one. You'll love it. Heck, buy mine and we'll both be happy. Lol. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you lived the close to me i would, i think the 400ex would fit my needs, good power looks and reliabilty, i would hit a mud hole at 50 mph on my 300ex that hit a small jump hit a hill climb that ride over rock hill, and i doubt the ltz/kfx frame can handle that kind of abuse so the 400ex is what i need

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 trx400x and wouldn't trade it for anything. It is the Cadillac of atvs comfort wise but has the balls to hang in there with the 450r and banshee. In the trails those other two don't compare to the 400x.

Mods:

FMF powerbomb header
Lexx MXE slip on
UNI air filter
UNI 1" air box vents (6)
DynoJet Stage 2 Jet Kit
160 main jet
40 pilot jet
Quadboss CDI box
JT Sprockets 15T front 38T rear
Regina 520 o-ring chain
Stainless Steel oil filter
AMSOIL 5W20 ATV oil
PowerMadd E3 36 spark plug
ElectroSport voltage rectifier
ElectroSport heavy duty stator
AMR monster ignition coil

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a '02 Trx400ex and a '03 Ltz400. Every time we ride the wife gets the ltz, nuff said.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have a '02 Trx400ex and a '03 Ltz400. Every time we ride the wife gets the ltz, nuff said.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Z400s handle like turds. My buddy let me ride his. They sit way too high

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
You will feel alot more power in the 400ex i had both quads and i love the 400ex, better on handling, speed, and control extended real axel and sway arms help alot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts