Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally had enough time to get started on my rebuilding of my 400. I picked up this bike about 8 months ago non running for $1200, the guy said it had a fuel issue and the timing was off.

I took apart the carb and bought a rebuild kit. She was up and running. Ever since I got it running it hasn't been running as good as I would like it. It's always smoked a little and low on power. I have decided to put a 416cc bore kit on.

I will probably pull the motor out of the bike because I am wanting to get my frame powder-coated while I already have it torn this far apart. I hope you guys enjoy!

I also got this Lenexx slip on pipe for free with the bike... has anyone used these before?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I bought a used motor from one of my friends for $300. It has a brand new Wiseco 416 bore (never been rode) I figured I couldn't pass up on this opportunity. I haven't pulled the old motor out yet.

After I get the old motor pulled I am going to get it the frame powder coated (thanks @SlammedRanger for the idea )

I am also looking into some new Maier plastics, not sure what color I am going to go with yet. I may stick with the honda red.

Sorry for no pics but nothing has happened. I will have pics of the new motor when I go and pick it up.

I hope you guys enjoy!

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Lexx pipes are loud and dont really make great power for it. It is one of the cheapest pipe options on ebay and alot of people buy them for that reason alone. Im gunna keep my eye on this thread. Where are you getting the frame done? Somewhere local? And ever think about getting it gusseted since it will be sand blasted before powder now is the time to do it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lexx pipes are loud and dont really make great power for it. It is one of the cheapest pipe options on ebay and alot of people buy them for that reason alone. Im gunna keep my eye on this thread. Where are you getting the frame done? Somewhere local? And ever think about getting it gusseted since it will be sand blasted before powder now is the time to do it.
I'm not familiar with gussets. What are they? What do they do? I got the Lexx pipe for free, I guess I will throw it on and see how I like it. My dad has a sandblaster so I can do that all myself, also I have a friend who repaints cars and things for a living and he said he would do it for free as long as I cover the paint.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
They are pieces of metal cut specifically to triangulate the weak points of the frame. They are welded in. Almost all racers have them. Lucky for me the 05+ 400 frames are already beefed up in common weak points. One of them on the pre 05s is the front shock mounts. They like the snap clean off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh ok they are the same thing as on cars. I have never had a problem with any of my bikes frames. That is definitely something to look into though. What are other common weak points besides the shock mounts?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
On the 400ex by the left lower subframe mount. And then the whole front suspension mounting structure. My 05 400ex became a 07 400ex because of that box twisting after a colision with a predator 500. 2 of my buddies were riding me and my brothers quads at the time and hit head on in a blind spot on some trails. The whole front box was an inch to the right when they were done. Luckily everyone was ok they both went flying off and landed in sand so besides hurt pride and 2 destroyed frames it was lucky it wasnt worse. I have also seen many racers snap the lower subframe mount first hand. Sounds like your not jumping high enough lol. Come up short on a 65 or so foot double and the frame is the breaking point.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Are you interested in selling the smoking motor when you put the new one in?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you interested in selling the smoking motor when you put the new one in?
I'm not putting a whole new motor in just a new top end (Hopefully) I do have a bottom end that I have laying around if your interested.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the 400ex by the left lower subframe mount. And then the whole front suspension mounting structure. My 05 400ex became a 07 400ex because of that box twisting after a colision with a predator 500. 2 of my buddies were riding me and my brothers quads at the time and hit head on in a blind spot on some trails. The whole front box was an inch to the right when they were done. Luckily everyone was ok they both went flying off and landed in sand so besides hurt pride and 2 destroyed frames it was lucky it wasnt worse. I have also seen many racers snap the lower subframe mount first hand. Sounds like your not jumping high enough lol. Come up short on a 65 or so foot double and the frame is the breaking point.
Oh geez, at least everyone was ok. Yeah I don't jump very much. I've always been afraid of casing jumps and going over the bars. With my gray 400ex I use for flat track racing, and this one I'm just going to use for trail riding. I also may sell it after I get it running good. I have way to many bikes lol.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Progress has been extremely slow. College and really bad weather. We had a bad ice storm so its an ice rink outside. I do have a bunch of new parts. New Air filter. Spark plug. New Fly racing bars. Also new top end is on order :) Also scored huge with some used plastics. Front ones are cut, and the back ones have a bad seat, but the plastic is in great shape. I will add some pics when I get home. Hopefully this weekend I can start tearing her down again. Stay tuned :)

Reactions: UnkleRaRa

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are a few pics. Front Plastics. Used tank (clean on the inside. Came with petcock) Rear plastics. The one on the right are the one I had on it. The one on the left is the new one. Seat is trash but plastics have no cracks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm still technically rebuilding a 1999 400ex so I'll keep this thread.

Update: The frame has a little rust starting right around where the battery is kept. Debating sanding it down and maybe painting it as a temporary fix. The motor has extremely good compression. Right around 118 ish (Surprised)

Battery was extremely weak and very old so I ordered a new battery. I am still trying to figure out this stupid lexx pipe. When I slide it on it seems the end (connecting to the header) has "expanded" Its not a very tight fit. I can already tell I'll end up throwing a HMF on it.

On another thread I was talking about how it smoked a lot on start up. Started it up last night. No smoke. What a relief.

I am looking at buying a new clutch cable because my clutch is super stiff. What brand do you recommend? The EZ Clutches is what I'm looking into right now. But I am willing to try what you guys think is the best. I will be tearing into the carb this after noon also.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I am looking at buying a new clutch cable because my clutch is super stiff. What brand do you recommend? The EZ Clutches is what I'm looking into right now. But I am willing to try what you guys think is the best. I will be tearing into the carb this after noon also.
I'd just order an OEM cable from partzilla.

I tried to fix the rear brake cable on the 250ex but putting trans fluid in down in the line, and let it hang for a few days, but it never loosened up.

Ordered the cable from zilla and it's perfect.

Then just grab some levers and you should be good to go!

I've been eyeballing hydraulic clutches, but I hear the reliability is questionable, and definitely not as reliable as a regular cable, so I scratched that idea.

Reactions: XplicitRacing6

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I'll have to get new cables. I hate stiff clutches they hurt my little hands so bad! lol I may try and put some WD40 or something like that down the cable to try maybe help it a little. I've already spent a ton of money on this bike. (For a college kid)I need to slow down Lmao

·
Registered
559 Posts
I guess I'll have to get new cables. I hate stiff clutches they hurt my little hands so bad! lol I may try and put some WD40 or something like that down the cable to try maybe help it a little. I've already spent a ton of money on this bike. (For a college kid)I need to slow down Lmao
Maybe snag a cable off one of your other 42 bikes for the time being :D

Reactions: XplicitRacing6

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe snag a cable off one of your other 42 bikes for the time being :D
Hahaha that made me laugh. I never thought of that

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update. Got all my parts on the bike. Plastics, Handlebars, etc.

Went for a ride......... Lots of backfiring and fireballs haha

The thing has no power at all in the low rpms. Well I guess it's time for some jetting. What do you guys think I should start out with?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am going to put my updates in this thread now. The other one is all disorganized.

The head is in the shop right now getting the 16cc bore. I still can't figure out what cam it is so I am probably just going to buy another one.

Questions: What would be the best way to clean up the frame before painting it? Steel wool? Sand paper? It is too big for the sandblaster that we have unfortunately.

Jets: What jets should I start out with once I get it running?

I was looking at JE pistons. Are those any good??

Sorry for so many questions
Thanks for your time and help

1 - 20 of 55 Posts