Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with a problem on my 2004 Honda rancher 400 at. I was running it up the road and stopped at a stop sign. It made a funny grinding noise and when I went to take off it wouldn’t go. It just made this rattling grinding noise. Now it’s not even make any noise when put in forward or reverse. Would the Hondamatic transmission go that suddenly or is that not the problem? It did this with no warning whatsoever. I run this four wheeler daily and never had any problem with the transmission at all. The four wheeler only has like 19,000 miles so that shouldn’t be the problem right? 🤣

· Registered
37 Posts
Can anyone help me with a problem on my 2004 Honda rancher 400 at. I was running it up the road and stopped at a stop sign. It made a funny grinding noise and when I went to take off it wouldn’t go. It just made this rattling grinding noise. Now it’s not even make any noise when put in forward or reverse. Would the Hondamatic transmission go that suddenly or is that not the problem? It did this with no warning whatsoever. I run this four wheeler daily and never had any problem with the transmission at all. The four wheeler only has like 19,000 miles so that shouldn’t be the problem right? 🤣
if its electric shift like most 400s then its your ecm. that or your shifting control module. probably a 200 dollar fix.

· Registered
37 Posts
Is there a way to troubleshoot this problem and make sure before spending a bunch of money
[/QUOTE
i mean not really, take it off and look at it and if it looks rough replace it. check out the shifting cable. it may need adjusting, just look at it closely, take the cover off and watch what its doing. if it doesnt look good replace it. let me know if u need more help

· Registered
37 Posts
Everything is great with the shift cable it is traveling the whole way and all. It just acts like your not even shifting any gears at all it doesn’t even try the slightest bit
[/QU
is it electric shift? if so then maybe its youre shifting module on your handle bars, go on amazon and search electric shift module for 400 rancher. shouldnt be more than 50 bucks

· Registered
37 Posts
Everything is great with the shift cable it is traveling the whole way and all. It just acts like your not even shifting any gears at all it doesn’t even try the slightest bit

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I meant to say from forward to reverse it doesn’t do a thing. Once it’s in drive you can shift right up through all five gears but the for wheeler stays at the same spot

· Registered
37 Posts
I meant to say from forward to reverse it doesn’t do a thing. Once it’s in drive you can shift right up through all five gears but the for wheeler stays at the same spot
id try taking the ecm out and checking it out. and cleaning it. if that doesnt work by a brand new one. if that doesnt work then you have a tranny issue

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
id try taking the ecm out and checking it out. and cleaning it. if that doesnt work by a brand new one. if that doesnt work then you have a tranny issue
would a ecm cause it to just suddenly stop driving. And not do a thing in the transmission?
The display shows forward and reverse and all the gears just fine like there isn’t a single problem

· Registered
37 Posts
would a ecm cause it to just suddenly stop driving. And not do a thing in the transmission?
The display shows forward and reverse and all the gears just fine like there isn’t a single problem
yes sir it would, the ecm is what shifts the transmission into gear. if the ecm is bad itll still say it shifts on the screen. but it isnt actually shifting the transmission. you get what im sayin?

· Registered
198 Posts
Lots of goofy information here.....
Better off coming over to atvhonda.com, all the Honda experts left these forums and went and made their own forum
MUCH better, accurate and quicker help as well
You most likelyneed to reinitialize the the ECM and shift motor
Its a process of turning key and pressing buttons that is in the service manual,
If you have not done it before, it might help you out
If you come over to atvhonda.com, ask for AKATV and we can get you sorted out

· Registered
114 Posts
Sounds like the clutch to me. The indicator changes gear in ESP mode you handlebar buttons and ecm are good. You should be able to hear the shift motor when you shift. Pull the front cover and look at the clutch.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like the clutch to me. The indicator changes gear in ESP mode you handlebar buttons and ecm are good. You should be able to hear the shift motor when you shift. Pull the front cover and look at the clutch.
Would a clutch just completely stop working? There is nothing like even the slightest bit of rotation in the forward and reverse gears at the rear

· Registered
7 Posts
With the grinding sound at first, I would pull the front cover and look at the primary clutch (centrifugal clutch). This clutch is attached to the crank shaft. If it is not working you will not move. If this is the problem Amazon has the item for around 40 dollars. Get the drum and clutch plates together.

· Registered
114 Posts
With the grinding sound at first, I would pull the front cover and look at the primary clutch (centrifugal clutch). This clutch is attached to the crank shaft. If it is not working you will not move. If this is the problem Amazon has the item for around 40 dollars. Get the drum and clutch plates together.
You are looking at the wrong atv. The 400AT does not have plates. No aftermarket clutch made for the 400AT. EPI does make a spring set for them but nothing else.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts