Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so if the honda 300 fourtrax had the old 350 foreman (REAR END) how much more reliable would this atv be

Sorry bout that i was distracted earlier

gonna start a new thread this one has gotten to off topic

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I don't understand the question, did you leave something out?

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
i think he's asking how the foreman would be with the trx300 motor in it ?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
i think he's asking how the foreman would be with the trx300 motor in it ?
Or maybe he's asking how the 300 would be with the 350 Foreman rear end.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
on my '89 TRX 300 - what rear ends are easily adaptable - drive shaft and povit point? What else is there to consider? Brakes seem easiest.
You can use the whole rear end (diff and axle tube) from a Fourtrax 250, but you have to do a little fabricating. You can also use the 350 Foreman rear end and you have to do some fabricating to use it too. Also, the Big Red 250 3-wheeler rear ends can be used with some fabricating. I don't know of any rear ends that will bolt straight up, without a little fabricating.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fabricating

Mostly drive shaft issues? Or ...

Do any of the options have axle tubes with outboard bearings like the older cars?

My project has required some fabrication.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Mostly drive shaft issues? Or ...

Do any of the options have axle tubes with outboard bearings like the older cars?

My project has required some fabrication.
Yeah, all the rear ends that I mentioned have full length axle tubes and bearings on each end. That's why most people change the rear ends to get the full length axle tubes because the bearings hold up better. The driveshafts will line up with these rear ends. The fabricating involves mounting the axle tube to the swingarm and also the shock mount.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks - we'll see how my mods hold up before looking for parts - will send pics later - added to shock/springs from a the Yamaha to the back to support the dump bed.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
for the buggy, with the weight on the rear end of the bed (when loaded) a full axle tube that spreads the weight out over the rear, instead of just at the bearings at the diff i think it would really benifit you.

jemmy3 did a GREAT write up on the install. not a hard swap, just hope you have a good rear from the get go!!!!!! pretty sure that is what my problem was.

·
Premium Member
12,330 Posts
250 Fourtrax or TRX350D

I put a 1986 TRX250 Fourtrax rear in my 1996 Honda TRX300 and it was very easy , I had and extra swing arm which made lining everything up and welding it a snap , I was able to do it all on a table , to make a bolt on flange which I welded to the tube I took a center section of a 300 rearend which I had and cut it about 3 inches long , then cut it in half , this sandwiched the axle tube but had a little gap , I took another piece of pipe and cut it like 4 inches and then cut it in half and took about 1/2 inch off the lenght of each piece , slide this pieces under the flange and used a c clamp and squeeze it all together off set the slices and welded down the gap of the pieces , welded it all the way around and unbolted it from the mock up swingarm and put it on the ATV , used a band saw to cut the steel bushing on the lower end of the rear shock flush with the eyelet as it stuck out the rubber about 3/8 on each side , I wanted to use the 250's 25x12x9 tires and rims and the right side hits the muffler on a hard bounce , 1 inch wheel spacers took care of that , there was nothing else to do and I really think the 250 rear end is heavier duty , never done the 350 swop , but read about it and I think there are shock mounts to deal with as it had 2 ---- oh , one other thing was I didn't use the trailer ball hitch plate as the angle was too much on the 300 and thats another project I need to do ------------ need to figure out how to do pics as the 250 axle job looks good

1 - 15 of 15 Posts