Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am trying to get ideals on this honda I got supposedly was sitting for a while and the guy I got it from replaced some stuff and rode it a bit now what its doing is it'll run fine at idle but any pressure on the throttle no rev if it was a car if swear it was misfiring any way the guy I had got it from replaced the cdi box already and the coil but the battery was hooked up but it has no power as in the lights don't come on unless the motor is running I was thinking that Maybe it fried the cdi box I've checked valves new carb and old card rebuilt same issue now they did change it to a high performance cdi at some point in its life and I have cdi box's for honda but nothing like this one so is there any way to test it before I spend the cash or maybe I'm missing something

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to pull the top off tomorrow and check the timing just to be safe maybe ill just order everything at once if it needs a chain and tensioner

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
sounds like a dirty carb to me ?. if it had low compression ?, it would not even start.

Reactions: rodp

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was it would let me post a video it stays running at full throttle but it just jumps at low rpms its the craziest thing the guy I got it from replaced the carb but ill order one just to know for sure couldn't hurt

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I was it would let me post a video it stays running at full throttle but it just jumps at low rpms its the craziest thing the guy I got it from replaced the carb but ill order one just to know for sure couldn't hurt
don't waste your time and cash on a after market china carb !!!, its a hit or miss with them !. your need the oem carb on it, and if you have this ?, a good carb rebuild kit is all you need as far as the carb goes. who's to say it's not low compression ?, maybe out of time a little ?, who knows ??. but a china carb WON'T FIX IT !..LOL.

Reactions: hercules60

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
When the timing is off the compression goes down cause top dead center is no longer top dead center -------- a compression test is a good test to figure out whats going on inside the motor before you take it apart -------

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Don't want to derail the thread but what's the best way of cleaning an old carb ? I have one that filthy, came in a box of bits, could do with soaking for a few days in something. Any ideas for something that really works inside and out gents?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Don't want to derail the thread but what's the best way of cleaning an old carb ? I have one that filthy, came in a box of bits, could do with soaking for a few days in something. Any ideas for something that really works inside and out gents?
I clean all my carbs by hand. couple cans of '' gum out '' carb cleaner, my parts washer, and my air compressor , have yet to this day not able to get a carb to run right on a motor ! :).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.