Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a honda 250 atv the neutral light will not stay on so the electric start wont work sometimes if you rock it just right the light will come on and it will start most of the time it wont come on anybody have any suggestions please

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Make sure all of your connections are connected properly, on the bars and on the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You have a neutral switch that connects to ground when the transmission is placed in neutral. This is the ground connection for your starting circuit. When the switch remains open, the neutral light remains off and the starter circuit will not work.

Since you can rock it and make the contact, I would look at the neutral switch. Check the connnections and you can do a continuity test for switch operation. You may need to replace the switch.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Hopefully your problem is either with the neutral switch, itself, or the wiring. If not, then the problem is on the inside of the transmission with the part on the end of the shift drum that contacts the neutral switch when in neutral.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Yes check out your neutral switch. I had a similiar problem on an 85 Big Red 250 I'm currently battling with

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
need help with timing 1991 honda 300 4x4

i have a 1991 honda 300 4x4 i just put in new ho pho valve in and ho pho valve ex . i need know how to time it and it haves 2 lines one with 2 dots and the other just a line.need help bad its giveing me a headack.thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
i have a 1991 honda 300 4x4 i just put in new ho pho valve in and ho pho valve ex . i need know how to time it and it haves 2 lines one with 2 dots and the other just a line.need help bad its giveing me a headack.thanks.
Welcome to the forums. On the Fourtrax 300, one of the lines should have a "F" by it and the other line should have a "T" beside it. You should use the one with the "T". If for some reason, it don't have the "F" and "T", then it should be the second line if you're turning the engine clockwise. If you're still confused, pull the sparkplug out and stick a straw down onto the top of the piston. Now slowly turn the engine over and when the straw comes up as high as it can and before it starts to drop down, that is TDC. When it's on TDC, the correct line will be lined up with the mark on the case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts