Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll paypal someone $$ if they can help me fix this. I'm really struggling with this.

I was getting a Code 5 & Code 6. I checked all the continuity on all the wires according to the service manual.
I checked grounds
I checked fuses.
I replaced the Angle Sensor and preloaded it.. I installed it at Noon, and rotated it clockwise. I checked this twice.
I checked the control motor. It spins when I initialize it. I checked the gear in the crankcase, it spins.

I replaced the ECU. After replacing the ECU today, I'm now just getting a Code 6. I put the old ECU back in and I'm still getting a Code 6 so I doubt its the ECU now.

When I initialize it, immediately after I press UP-Down-UP, the control motor spins then I just get blinking --. It never goes to N, even after I Open throttle - Close throttle.

When I put it in D1 or ESP and shift up and down, it doesn't recognize the gear changes.

Of course I get the sputtering and no power when I try to drive it. It won't go anywhere.

I'm struggling.

Thank you

Jason

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure that new angle sensor was good, you might still have a bad sensor. Check the connector for it as well for corrosion if you haven't already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I think the angle sensor is bad. I pulled it today, and the ohms read .38 K ohms, then it only goes up to .89 K ohms. The service bulletin says it should go from 0-1.6-2.4K Ohms. Well, its never reaching the Max range. So much for assuming the "New" sensor is good. I just put that in last week.

Now my question is, why have I gone through 3 angle sensors in a couple months. Is my engine over heating and "cooking" the sensor. There is a shield on the exhaust pipe there.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Yes that's very possible. You might want to try a header wrap, or building a better heat shield, or maybe some of that flexible heat shield with the sticky backing, and put it over the sensor? Are you running the stock exhaust or aftermarket?

It's also possible that water is getting into it, so make sure you use dielectric grease on the connector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running all stock exhaust. Good point about the grease and flexible heat shield. I'll definitely do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts