Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike was sitting for a while due to lack of time to ride it. I recently got the time so I started doing repairs that it needed. Heres what I did so far:

Took the carb off and cleaned it (well not really, the damn thing was almost spotless). The cable from the throttle will not go in all the way, as in on the outside of the carb if I turn the bolt/cable down all the way I can not put the carb back were it belongs and put the gas tank back on it.

A leak at the bottom on the right crankcase, caused by a gasket I just replaced. I took the side of the engine off + exhaust pipe. Put the new one on, put the side back on and poured in 1.5qts of 10w-30 oil.

Than I repaired the rear brake caliper (unreleated to the issues below)

So after all that I try to start her, turn the choke on, pour in some fresh 90+ gas (tried 87 later on), and pushed the button. After a little bit of throttle action she came to life. I cut the choke off.

Than the problem started, she cut off almost instantly when the choke was cut off, even if I gave it max throttle. I cut the choke back on and I let it sit for a bit, started it, it did the samething.

Than I left the choke on and let it run, I noticed steam coming off of the exhuast pipe and I touched the engine casing. The casing was cool and no steam was coming OUT of the exhuast pipe, just OFF of it.

Anyone have any idea why it seems to be over heating and making me leave the choke on? Oil is right were I left it, so its not burning it.

If you need more info to help me, just ask.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
when its running to lean it will over heat a bad fuel line or plugged jet could cause this but if the motor is not hot its probly not over heating. when you choke the bike it does not let it get as much air so it gets more fuel and thats why i say its running too lean. it may need a good cleaning inside the gas tank and the carb to make sure there is no crap in it that could be causing it to not get enough fuel. or of there is any mods it may need to be rejetted

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Steam from the pipe is most likely caused from condensation from sitting. As for the carb issue did you have the jets apart when cleaning?If so what do you have the main jet set at?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plugged jet is what it was (sorry about the late response).

Now that its not running lean anymore I have another problem.

The pistons seem to be out of whack on it now. I think piston is the right word for it ( I am horrible at remebering names, but figuring out how to do stuff is easier).

They make a tap tap tap sound on the exhaust side of the engine. I removed the two covers at the top of the engine and set the firing rod (thing under the spark plug) to its max height. I noticed I could not wiggle the exhaust side and could barely move the other side.

Does anyone know what the settings are for these? I think its .006 and .004, but I can not remember which side they go to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts